Cisco Jabber can be used by faculty and staff to message UNCP colleagues and make phone calls from your computer (that will show up as if you're calling from your office phone). Jabber is an extension of your desktop phone and you can call others using the same 4-digit dialing, local, or long-distance dialing you use at your desktop phone. Jabber connects securely to UNCP's network so you can stay in touch wherever you have an Internet connection.
Note: You don’t have to be connected to VPN to use Cisco Jabber.
- Cisco Jabber software
- Internet connectivity (VPN is NOT required)
- Microphone and Speakers (can be built-in)
- Camera (for video, if desired)
Video Instructions for Using Cisco Jabber
- Ensure Cisco Jabber is installed on your machine. The latest version can be found in the Self Service app for Macs and the Software Center Self Service Portal for Macs and the Software Center for Windows computers.
- Open Jabber and enter your firstname.lastname@example.org into the username field.
- name: John Smith
- username: jsmith
- you type: email@example.com
- Type your network password in the password field.
- After logging into Cisco Jabber, the Cisco Webex plugin will prompt you to enter your email address. Type your UNCP email and press next. The Webex plugin will enable Webex Meeting capabilities and access to your calendar schedule.
- Once you are logged into Cisco Jabber, immediately sign out and then sign back in. This helps Cisco Jabber to quickly sync your profile and information with its servers. To sign out, click the gear at the top right of the Jabber window and select "Sign Out". After signing in the first time, the application populates your username, so you only need to enter your password after that.
- After signing back into Cisco Jabber, on the bottom corner of the Contacts pane, there will be an icon that looks like a computer. Click that icon. Under 'Device For Calls":
- For off-campus use, ensure it shows "Use my computer for calls".
- For campus use, ensure it shows the model of your office phone.
- Click outside of the window to close the list.
Your Cisco Jabber is now ready to make calls.
Calling with Jabber
- In the search bar, type the person's name you'd like to call. If calling an outside number, type "9" and the number in the search bar.
- A green phone icon will appear when you hover your mouse over the name.
- Click the green phone icon to place the call.
- Click the blue icon to send an instant message.
Click here for more information on using Cisco Jabber.