Graduate Admissions

UNCP has ranked
...among the “Most Affordable AACSB Online MBA Programs” by GetEducated (2023)
...among the “Best Online Master’s in Elementary Education Degrees” by Best Accredited Colleges (2023)
...among the “Regional Universities South” by U.S. News & World Report (2021)
...among the “Top Performers on Social Mobility” by U.S. News & World Report (2021)
...among the “Top Public Schools, Regional Universities South” by U.S. News & World Report (2021)
...among the “Best 1-Year Online MBAs for 2021” by College Consensus

We are excited that you want to pursue your passion as a UNCP Brave! 

The Graduate School is here to help you every step of the way, from application to graduation. Graduate application deadlines and requirements vary by program. Please contact us at or 910.521.6271 with questions. 

The Graduate School uses a holistic approach when considering applicants for admission in the categories below. 

Below is the information related to:

  • International Graduate Students
  • Enrollment for Additional Graduate Licensure
  • Second Master's Degree
  • Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses


International Graduate Students

The Graduate School of The University of North Carolina at Pembroke welcomes applications from potential graduate students from other nations. To be eligible for consideration for admission as an international student, an applicant must:

1) submit a completed application;

2) pay the non-refundable application fee of $60.00;

3) submit an official transcript evaluation report by World Education Services (WES), International Education Services (IES), or other NACES-accredited education evaluation service (official or unofficial transcripts are not required)

4) submit an official report of satisfactory scores on an entrance exam, if required by program of interest;

5) submit satisfactory scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Duolingo English Test, if English is not the native language.

  • The minimum TOEFL score is 79 on Internet-based (iBT) or 550 on paper-based (PBT) test.
  • The minimum IELTS overall score is 6.5, with a minimum score of 6.0 on each of the four bands.
  • The minimum Duolingo score is 105.
  • Exceptions to the English standardized exams are available for the three categories of international applicants:
    1. International applicants who have received or will receive a degree from an accepted accredited university in the United States. Accepted institutional accreditors include but are not limited to the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC), Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Higher Learning Commission (HLC), Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE), Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), and WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). Other US Dept. of Education recognized accreditors that are not listed above may also be considered acceptable. 
    2. International applicants who have received or will receive a degree from an accredited university abroad, where English is the sole language of instruction. Applicants in this category must provide an official letter of verification from that university that English is the sole language of instruction, along with the applicant's date of graduation (or anticipated date of graduation for those who are still working on their bachelor's degree). Failure to provide an official letter of verification will mean that the standardized English exam scores will be required for admission.
    3. International applicants from countries where English is the sole official language of instruction (Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada (except Quebec), Ghana, Ireland, India, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, Tobago, Uganda, and United Kingdom - England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales) do not need to submit English proficiency scores.
    4. Have successfully completed UNCP's English Language Institute (ELI).

6) have three academic and/or professional recommendations submitted on her/his behalf, if required by the program (MBA does not require recommendations);


If admitted, international students will need to

7) submit official proof of financial support, Financial Certification.

Visit the International Programs website

Enrollment for Additional Graduate Licensure

Students who possess graduate (M level) licensure by the North Carolina State Board of Education may enroll in some graduate programs to earn additional graduate licensure. Students who wish to exercise this option must apply to The Graduate School for admission. The School of Education Licensure Officer and the program director will identify the requirements for a recommendation for additional graduate licensure to be forwarded to the Department of Public Instruction by UNCP. This enrollment status does not qualify one for an additional degree.

Students who hold a master’s degree from a regionally accredited, 48-credit-hour counseling degree program who wish to obtain licensure as a school counselor and students who possess graduate licensure who wish to obtain a school administration license must apply for admission to a licensure only program. Admission requirements are identical to those for the degree program. Additional information may be obtained from The Graduate School or from the specific program.

Undergraduate Enrollment in Graduate Courses

Undergraduate students who have successfully completed 75 hours of undergraduate courses may gain permission to take graduate coursework by completing the Undergraduate Privilege form located on the forms page. Students may want to note that up to twelve hours of successfully completed (C or better) graduate coursework may count towards their master’s degree, depending on program and courses, and may also count towards their undergraduate degree. These students should note that these courses are subject to all The Graduate School rules and regulations (time to degree, grading, etc.).

 To be eligible, undergraduate student must:

  • have successfully completed 75 hours of course credit (at least 24 credit hours at UNCP),
  • have at least a 3.0 GPA at UNCP and
  • have this form properly completed and signed into the Graduate office.


  • Graduate course grades do NOT count in one’s undergraduate GPA.
  • Graduate course grades count in graduate GPA and towards the graduate regulation of three “Cs” or one “F” dismissal.
  • Permission to take graduate courses does not guarantee future admission into a graduate program.
  • If course/s is/are counting towards completion of undergraduate degree, financial aid may apply.