Duo Mobile Setup & VPN Access
Some critical and protected UNCP systems require VPN access. If you believe you require this access, please contact the Help Desk by emailing email@example.com or calling 910-521-6260. Before using the VPN client, Cisco AnyConnect, you must enroll with Duo and set up your mobile device. Duo Security provides a two-factor authentication service to make logins more secure.
Requesting Duo Access
If you have not previously used Duo, or you have received a new phone and have not set up Duo for that device:
- Contact the Help Desk by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 910-521-6260. Indicate that you need to be enrolled in Duo. Provide a good contact number (including a way to reach you if you are off campus) and your username.
- The DoIT IT Security Team will then push the Duo Enrollment Email to you from within Duo. The email will come from “Duo Security <email@example.com>”
- Contained in the email will be a link used to configure Duo for you and your phone, tablet or other mobile device. Open the email and the link on your computer, as you will be prompted to read a QR code with your mobile device as part of the setup.
Setting Up Duo
Duo Security must be accessed online to be set up your mobile device.
- After clicking the link in the email, and the following page opens, click “Start setup”.
- Select the type of device you will be using to authenticate your VPN sign in. A mobile phone is the recommended option.
- Depending on which option is selected, the next step might differ. When adding a mobile phone, the screen will prompt for the country and phone number. Click “Continue”.
- Provide phone type and click “Continue”.
- Install “Duo Mobile” from the App Store. Once the application is installed click “I have Duo Mobile Installed”. Note: It’s imperative not to delete the Duo application from your phone or tablet once you have it set up for your device.
- Activate Duo Mobile. This can be done by scanning the barcode from within the app or having an activation link emailed. Once activated, click “Continue”.
- Select settings and preferred device. Here is where additional devices can be added to the Duo account, if needed. Ensure the phone number and default device are correct. Next to “When I log in”, select the desired authentication method. Click “Save” then click “Continue to Login”.
- Make a selection under “Choose an authentication method”. The preferred method for authentication alerts is a Duo Push. Your device is now ready to approve Duo authentication requests. Click “Send me a Push” to give it a try. Open the Duo app on your mobile device and tap “Approve”.
Logging into Cisco AnyConnect for VPN
- The VPN Client “AnyConnect Client” is located on your computer at “Start – All Programs – Cisco – Cisco AnyConnect”. Locate the program and left click to launch Cisco AnyConnect.
- Note: If Cisco AnyConnect isn’t installed on your UNCP computer, go to the Self Service Portals page for installation instructions.
- The first time you use Cisco AnyConnect, type “secure.uncp.edu” and then click “Connect”.
- Type your UNCP credentials into the first two fields. Then, for Second Password, there are two options (Duo Passcode or Push).
- To use your Duo passcode: Open the Duo Mobile app on your mobile device and click the dropdown to get your Duo passcode. Click “OK”.
- To use Push: In the Second Password box, type “Push”. Click “OK”. Open Duo Mobile app and click the notification bar and "Approve".
- For the next two windows that open on the computer, click "Accept" and "OK". You are now connected to the UNCP network.