All students wishing to major in music with a percussion emphasis or to perform with the UNCP Percussion Ensemble must audition. Required repertoire is as follows:
- 1 concert solo or etude (Cirone, Delecluse, Lepak, Firth, etc.)
- Play a concert style roll which crescendos from piano to fortissimo, and decrescendos back to piano over one minute.
- Optional: Rudimental Solo (Pratt, Wilcoxon, etc.)
- 1 two-mallet solo or etude (ragtime solos, all state etudes, etc.)
- Major scales and arpeggios
- Optional: Four-mallet solo (Peters, Smadbeck, Rife, etc.)
- 1 solo or etude (Firth, Goodman, Hinger, Beck, etc.)
- Tuning and pitch matching will be tested.
- Drum set
- World Percussion
- Mallet Improvisation
Keyboard and snare drum sight reading will be required of all who audition.
If you have any questions or concerns about your repertoire please contact Dr. Van Hassel.
Students in either of the BA degrees may choose drumset as their prinicpal instrument. There will be sightreading of both drumset charts and snare drum music on the audition.
Demonstrate the following styles with a “play along” CD music track
1) 12 Bar Blues Shuffle (w/ backbeat on 2 & 4)
2) 12 Bar Blues Jazz/Swing Time, Medium Tempo (“Freddie the Freeloader”)
3) Bossa Nova. High Hat, then Ride Cymbal, High Hat on 2 & 4.
(“Girl from Ipanema”, “Blue Bossa”)
4) Funk/R&B Groove (“Cold Sweat”, James Brown)
5) Afro Cuban Mambo (“Mambo Inn”)
6) 6/8 Afro Cuban Bembe (“Footprints”)
1) 3 Bars of Funk Groove, 1 Bar Fill
2) Paradiddle, Double Paradiddle, Paradiddle-Diddle
3) 5, 6, 9 stroke rolls
1) Read example IB, IIA from New Breed by Gary Chester
a) on snare drum only
b) with Bass Drum, over 8ths on the high hat
2) Read Syncopation Solo #1 from Ted Reed with swing 8ths over Jazz Ride, High Hat on 2 & 4
December 1, 2018
February 16, 2019
March 16, 2019
April 27, 2019
Other dates can be arranged with Dr. Van Hassel if you cannot make the scheduled dates.
Please apply for admission to the University before auditioning for the music faculty.