Information For Students


Honor Society


UNCP Academic Course Catalog

Frequently Asked Questions for Students

Q: How do I find out who my advisor is?

Finding Advisor Instructions.docx

Q: How do I find contact information for my advisor or other instructors in the department?

Use the contact us link on the Sociology and Criminal Justice Department website:

Q: How does advising work at UNCP?  

Advising and registration for the next semester takes place in the middle of each semester. After midterms you should be looking for emails from and/or reaching out to your advisor. Always email your advisor from your UNCP email (Bravemail) account and include your banner ID. During the advising period each semester, students meet with their advisor (in-person or virtually) to go over their proposed class schedules. Once you’ve met with your advisor, they will give you a four-digit pin that you will need to register for the next semester. Do not simply email your advisor and ask for your pin. The purpose of withholding the pin is so that your advisor can help ensure you’re registering for classes that you need to take. If you wait until after the advising and registration period to get in touch with your advisor, you may not be able to get into the classes that you need or secure a full schedule of classes.

The academic calendar, found on the website for the office of the registrar, provides advising and registration, as well as other important dates students should record on their calendars:  

Q: How do I know what classes I need to take? How do I access and read my degree audit?

Your degree audit, accessed through Braveweb, will give you important information on courses you’ve taken and transferred in, what requirements those credits are counting toward, and the course requirements you have left to complete.

This document contains instructions on how to find your degree audit through Braveweb:

Degree Audit Instructions.docx

Once you have your audit, the WebEx tutorial below will help you understand the audit to determine what courses you need to take in order to complete your degree.

Webex meeting recording: Brooke Kelly's Personal Room-20210205 1733-2

Password: mXqWAkv2

Recording link:

Q: What are the requirements for a sociology or a criminal justice major?

Though the best way to consider what you need to take for your major is through the degree audit (see above), you can find checklists with the requirements for each of the majors here:

Sociology, B.A.

Criminal Justice, B.A.

Q: How do I search for classes? How do I know which classes are full, and which classes have openings? How do I know if my classes are online? How do I know which classes are WE/WD?

The following WebEx tutorial addresses how to search for classes using the advanced search feature on Braveweb and how to interpret and understand course listings.

Webex meeting recording: Brooke Kelly's Personal Room-20210131 2301-3

Password: 6pPMsJAw

Recording link:

Q: How can I register for a class that is full? What do I do if the classes I need to take are full?

In our department, some classes have a waiting list. If there is a waiting list, put your name down, but come up with a back-up plan of another course to take.

Advising and registration takes place after midterms each semester for the following semester. If you wait until later to register, you run the risk of not being able to secure the classes that you need and/or a full schedule of classes. If you find that classes you’d like to take in your major are full when you go to register, consider other options based on your degree audit (see how to read degree audit above). Do you have general education classes remaining that you could take instead? Do you have university electives remaining (see explanation of university electives below)? If you’ve waited to register, university electives enable you some flexibility in that they can be courses for credit that you haven’t already taken, and they can be in ANY subject.

Q: How do I register for classes on Braveweb?

On the following page, scroll down to How to Register for Classes for instructions:

Q: What are university electives?

Everyone must complete at least 120 credit hours in order to earn a bachelor’s degree. Of those 120 credit hours, all students must complete or transfer in 44 credit hours of general education requirements and the course hours required for their major. After Sociology majors complete 44 credit hours of required general education courses and 33 credit hours of required courses for their major, they are left with 120-(44+33)=43 credit hours to complete. After Criminal Justice majors complete 44 hours of general education courses and 36 hours of required courses for their major, they are left with 120-(44+36)=40 credit hours to complete. The credits that remain after the general education and major requirements are university electives. (see next related question). 

Q: I have completed all of my required classes, but I still have hours remaining to graduate (university electives). What courses should I take?  

Depending on how many hours of university electives you have remaining, you could consider using your university electives to add a minor or minors, or possibly double major. Most minors require about 18 credit hours of coursework. Majors vary in hours required. Students in our department sometimes double major in Sociology and Criminal Justice. You can minor in almost any subject you can major in, but there are also minors that are interdisciplinary and include courses from multiple departments/subjects.

Here are majors and interdisciplinary minors that are offered through our department:

Q: How do I declare a major or minor? How do I declare a double major? How do I drop a major or minor?

The same form is used declare a major, to add a second major (double major), to add a minor, and to drop a major or minor. (Note that after you’ve declared a double major and run an audit, TWO separate audits for each major will appear.)

On the following page, scroll down to Declaration of Major, Minor, Concentration and/or Advisor form:

Q: How do I become a fully online student?  

You may designate yourself as fully online if you wish to do so. If you do this, you will receive a lower tuition rate and be able to sign up for classes that are designated as online only, but you will not be able to take any face to face courses. If you wish to be designated as online only, you should send the department chair or assistant chair an email that includes your name, banner ID, and your preference to be designated as online only. The email will be forwarded to the registrar’s office. Once your online only designation is processed, you will see this noted on your degree audit below the graphs.

Q: How do I apply for graduation?  

Students should apply for graduation two semesters before they anticipate graduating. The application for graduation, which includes information about deadlines and fees, can be found through the link below to forms on the website for the office of the registrar.

On the following page, scroll down to find the Application for Undergraduate Graduation:

For additional questions about graduation:

Q: How do I transfer credits from another institution to UNCP? Can I take classes at a different institution to fulfill some of my credits at UNCP?

For questions about transfer credits, contact the registrar’s office unless the course in question is in criminal justice or sociology. If it’s a course in our department, you can contact the department chair or assistant chair.

Transferring Credits

Q: I currently have completed #____ amount of hours, what is my class standing?

Regular students at UNCP are classified according to the number of semester hours they have completed in keeping with the following:

Less than 30 hours‑Freshman

60 to 89 hours‑Junior

30 to 59 hours‑Sophomore

90 hours to graduation‑Senior

Please note that “earned” hours on the degree audit includes courses in which you’re currently enrolled and have not yet completed. The above hours must be completed courses.

When a student will be able to graduate depends on how many hours the student plans to take in future semesters and not only on class standing.

Q: How many credits are considered full time for financial aid?

The answer to this question can vary. Students should consult financial aid for any questions about financial aid:

Q: How do I withdraw from a class?

Check the academic calendar for the semester for specific deadlines for withdrawing.

You can withdraw with a “W,” rather than a failing grade, by completing a course withdraw form and submitting it to the registrar’s office before the deadline

On the following page, scroll to find Course Withdraw Forms:

Q: What sort of jobs can I get with a sociology major?

As a liberal arts degree, the sociology major does not train you for one particular job. Students can use the skills they develop from gaining a sociology degree, such as critical thinking, an understanding of social systems and diversity, research and analytic skills, and good writing, to market themselves for a number of different jobs. To explore further information about jobs in sociology, check out the website for the American Sociological Association linked here:

On the site, search for information on careers and/or information for students.

Q: What sort of job can I get with a criminal justice major?

The bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice is also a liberal arts degree, which qualifies students for a number of job options. However, the degree program in Criminal Justice is geared to prepare students for a career in public or private sector law enforcement, or for a graduate program in Criminal Justice. Specific careers would include policing at the state and some federal level jobs, corrections, probation and parole, courtroom administration, juvenile justice and delinquency prevention, and victim’s advocacy. North Carolina has a position called probation/parole associate for which the Criminal Justice major is appropriate. The Criminal Justice degree is also appropriate for students seeking careers with the State Bureau of Identification, Highway Patrol, and several other law enforcement positions at the federal (e.g. U.S. Marshal Service, ATF, etc.), state, and local levels.

FAQ Pages and Helpful Links for Students

Brave Central



Office of the Registrar

Transferring Credits

Scholarship Search through BraveAssist Portal

Student Accounts


Undergraduate Commencement

BraveAssist portal (This is how students can apply for scholarships.)