Each year the Department of Biology bestows awards to several of its most outstanding students. Pictured above are some of the 2019 award winners.
Go to Brave Assist (student scholarship portal) to apply for awards. Brave Assist accepts applications from December 1st to February 28th for the upcoming academic year. Some awards, such as the Biology Faculty Award, are bestowed based on faculty nominations of outstanding students, and applications are not required.
2019 Award Winners:
- Biology Faculty Award -- Cheyenne Lee
- Robert Britt Memorial Scholarship -- Melanie A. Handley
- Environmental Science Scholarship -- not awarded
- Environmental Science Sustainable Agriculture Scholarship -- not awarded
- James Porter Math and Environmental Science Scholarship -- Joshua Cade and Chailee Jones
- Lumber River EMC Scholar Program -- Phoenix Lockear
- Biology Club Award -- Jazlyn Pointer
1. Biology Faculty Award is given to a junior who has an outstanding GPA and who is majoring in biology or environmental science. The cash award is $200.
2. Robert Britt Memorial Scholarship is given to a biology/environmental science student with an exceptional interest in the plant sciences. The cash award varies but can be as much as $500.
3. James Ebert Award is given to a biology/environmental science student with an exceptional interest in ecology. The cash award is $250.
4. Biology Club Award is given to an outstanding member of the Club. The cash award is $100.
5. Ecology/Environmental Science Award is given to a biology/environmental science student who demonstrates exceptional interest in ecology. Anonymous donor.
6. Science Education Award is given to a student who demonstrates outstanding leadership or achievement in science education. The award is contingent upon GPA.
The 2018 award winners are pictured below (photographs courtesy of Dr. Leon Jernigan).