The University of North Carolina at Pembroke is proud to offer an Agricultural Science Emphasis within our Biology Department (BAGS). It is a unique opportunity for students to study Agriculture while earning a bachelor’s degree in biology. This degree is ideal for students who are interested in continuing in agriculture or those who want to become prepared to enter the professional agriculture industry. Students take Biology core courses that include: Biology, Zoology, Botany, Chemistry I and II, Reading and Writing in the Biological Sciences and take Agriculture core courses that include: Introduction to Animal Science, Introduction to Sustainable Agriculture, Soils and Hydrology, Plant Cropping and Weed Management, and Pest Management. Then students can tailor their own degree program by choosing elective courses based on their interests in agriculture. For example, there are animal science, plant science, and agricultural technology options. Students are well prepared to pursue a variety of fields in agriculture or to transition to a graduate program in the field of agriculture or biology.
The future of agriculture will depend on innovative technologies, systems, and practices that sustainably meet the demands of a growing population and adapt to a changing global environment. This means bringing people closer to their food, nature, and the environment while embracing social and cultural differences. Through personalized instruction and targeted partnerships with local producers and businesses, this program will enhance agriculture in our region by empowering students with knowledge of modern agricultural practices.
- Build, strengthen, and sustain innovative practices that promote sustainable agriculture across the region.
- Nurture pathways to careers and opportunities in agriculture.
- Appreciate the diversity of agricultural practices and scales by providing opportunities for students to select classes most suited to their interest
- Establish educational and research partnerships with local farmers and agricultural programs across the state and U.S.
- Dr. Bryan Sales phone: 910.521.6744
- Dr. Maria Pereira phone: 910.521.6642