The Kids in the Garden program (KIG), funded by Burroughs-Wellcome, is a STEM program for rising 7th – 12th grade students from Bladen, Cumberland, Richmond and Robeson Counties, as well as the surrounding area, to investigate the mystery of colony collapse in honey bees at the UNC Pembroke campus garden and the importance of pollen and pollinators in the environment.
Students who participate in the program experience STEM related content to its fullest extent! Students conduct research in a college setting; take field trips such as to BASF, the Bahr lab, visit a commercial bee operation and Cape Fear Botanical Gardens to learn about the importance of honey bees, pollen, and pollinators; and conduct research at various field sites. Snacks, supplies, transportation, activity fees, and equipment used during the program are provided. Parents are responsible for transportation to and from UNCP.
FREE Summer Camp 2021 – for middle and high school students or those CURRENTLY in middle and high school when the program begins. The two-week summer camp experience called the “Bee Camp” will occur from June 21st to July 2nd, 2021.
The bee camp will be divided into two groups:
- A group (morning) from 9:00 AM – Noon with an activity sent home to do in the afternoon
- B group (afternoon) from 1:00 – 4:00 PM with an activity sent home to do the next morning
Even though the camp happens outside, students are required to wear masks at all times.
Are you interested in learning about science, engineering, and technology by doing tons of great science experiments and activities? Do you want to explore careers in science, technology, and engineering? Do you love flowers, insects, to go outside and explore, to learn about bees and beekeeping, and to go on field trips? Do you like to make crafts from natural objects? If so, then, our program is for you!
See the application at the bottom of this page.
For additional information please contact:
Twenty-four students will be selected to participate in the summer program. Parents will be notified of acceptance at the end of May 2021.
Apply in the spring of 2021 for the summer 2021 bee camp! Stay tuned for some possible spring 2021 Saturday programs!
Cick here to read about the 2019 float trip on the Lumber River!
- UNCP Campus Garden – Kids in the Garden Outreach Booth
- Academic year program on Saturday mornings at UNCP
- Bee Camp during the last two weeks of June at UNCP
- BEE the Change Teacher Workshops – Focus on Literacy
- BEE the Change Science Curriculum – Middle and High School
- Demonstration Pollinator Gardens – Robeson Co. Early College/Robeson Community College (Robeson Co.), Jack Britt High School (Cumberland), Tar Heel Middle School (Bladen Co.)
For additional information contact the Kids in the Garden team – Dr. Rita Hagevik at email@example.com
The Kids in the Garden programs are possible because of generous support from the Burroughs-Wellcome fund (middle and high school program) and Duke Energy Foundation (elementary program), with additional support from Robeson County Farm Bureau and UNC Pembroke.