Student Employment

The Office for Community & Civic Engagement advertises employment opportunities to eligible Federal Work-Study (FWS) students. Students use FWS to serve and address Community Service (CS) needs. For more information about the FWS program at UNCP click here. Students who do not qualify for FWS-CS may volunteer at local community partners and organizations. All available positions will be posted on Handshake.

Student Service Leaders

The Office for Community & Civic Engagement seeks reliable, dependable, and motivated students to work as Student Service Leaders. Applicants should be eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS), have good communication skills, passion for service and enjoy working with people. Selected students may receive additional compensation to the FWS for community service involvement. Please contact CCE at or 910.521.6163 for more information.

Service-Learning Teaching Assistants

Service-Learning Teaching Assistants work with faculty members teaching service-learning courses, helping to coordinate the service-learning components of these courses. Exact job duties will depend on the assignment, but may include any of the following:

Identify and develop appropriate community partnerships (service placements):

  1. Confirm relationships with existing community partners and research new community organizations as necessary to identify sufficient student placements.
  2. Visit potential placement sites.
  3. Oversee and monitor service-learning placements throughout the semester.
  4. Coordinate the placement process, e.g., prepare descriptions of community partners, make an in-class presentation, collect forms, and match students with appropriate sites.
  5. Develop or update and carry out protocols for orienting students, e.g., in-class presentations, participation agreements. Participate in orientations at placement sites.
  6. Track student hours or make sure students are meeting their commitments. Make site visits as appropriate. Hold “office hours” for students as needed.
  7. Provide guidance or assistance to individuals or student groups completing service projects or conducting community-based research.

Please contact CCE at or 910.521.6163 for more information.

Volunteers and Interns

There are over 150 community organizations in Robeson and surrounding counties that receive student volunteers and interns. Students can volunteer and serve in an area of interest to meet a community need. Check out UNCP Serve to find an opportunity that is right for you.