Travel Regulations Mandates by OSB&M

Controller's Office Policy CO 05 94 Revised 3/16/09

A. Purpose: To explain the travel regulations of the State of North Carolina for reimbursement of business travel.

B. Scope: All Business Travel for the University of North Carolina at Pembroke

C. Policy: All travel at University expense must be approved by the Department Head or Vice Chancellor responsible over the account or the Chancellor (if travel is out of the country).

1. Out-of-State travel status begins the day the employee leaves the State and remains in effect through the day the employee returns to the State. However, in-State allowances and reimbursement rates apply when official travelers use hotel-motel facilities and eating establishments located in North Carolina immediately prior to and/or returning from out of state during the same travel period.

2. Authorization for excess expenditures for in- or out-of-state may be granted by the Department Head responsible for the account if approved prior to traveling:

a. lodging - when traveler is in a high-cost area and unable to secure lodging within the current allowance (receipts are required). b. meals - only when a meal is included as part of registration fee and/or when there is a predetermined charge for a meal. c. rental vehicle:

(1) requires written explanation stating reason rental car is necessary attached to the Travel Request form (2) used as a last resort (3) must use company(s) with whom the State has a contract and abide by  that contract (see Controller's Office Policy CO 05 94 a). (4) Visitors to campus; i.e, prospective faculty, etc., may be reimbursed for:

(a) A maximum of  3 days (5 days or less if one is a Saturday and accompanied with a reduced airfare for a Saturday night stay) or the weekly rate if less than the 3/5 day charge (b) Must be a flat rate with unlimited mileage or no greater than the flat rate would have been (c) Visitor must use his personal insurance (UNCP will not pay vehicle insurance) (d) Must rent a compact vehicle (or a mid-size if a compact vehicle is not available).

3. Use of Automobiles

It is the intent of the State that state employee travel shall be conducted in the most efficient manner and at the lowest and most reasonable cost to the state. With regard to passenger vehicle travel, whether in- or out-of-state, agency travel policies shall:

a. State Car – Maximize utilization of state-owned vehicles when travel by automobile is determined to be feasible; a state car (agency-owned or agency-assigned vehicles owned by the Department of Administration).

 b. Personal/Private Car - The University provides reimbursement to University employees at the statutory rate per mile for use of private cars on official business when a state-owned vehicle is not available. An employee may be reimbursed at the standard rate for the use of their personal car.

 Private vehicle may be used for convenience instead of flying when on State business at the standard UNCP reimbursement rate at the time of travel plus subsistence expense to the maximum of the documented air-coach/tourist rate.

 c. Rental Vehicle - For both in-state and out-of-state travel, rental vehicles shall be obtained through the State’s term contracts when available. Unless prior approval has been obtained from the department head or his or her designee, the state employee shall bear the difference in cost when renting a vehicle from a class that exceeds the cost of a standard vehicle on the State’s term contract for short-term vehicle rentals. No reimbursement will be made for rental insurance purchased because state employees are covered under the State’s auto insurance program. However, reimbursement for automobile rental insurance will be permitted for individuals engaged in state business during travel to international destinations.


5.1.26 Transportation by Personal Vehicle

Agencies are encouraged to establish policies that promote efficient travel, such as ride-sharing. When State-owned resources are not available, the agency may procure vehicles through the State’s term contracts or reimburse use of personal vehicles. If a state employee chooses to use a personal vehicle, actual mileage is reimbursable. Mileage is measured from the closer of duty station or point of departure to destination (and return). A state employee shall be reimbursed the business standard mileage rate set by the Internal Revenue Service (62.5 cents per mile effective July 1, 2022). Parking fees, tolls, and storage fees are reimbursable when the required receipts are obtained. Fines for traffic and parking violations are the responsibility of the state employee. Internal agency exceptions to this policy can be granted by agency heads, or their designees, if an agency has a unique clearly documented business need that is not directly addressed by this OSBM policy. These exceptions are public records and shall be made available upon request by OSBM staff, auditors or interested third parties.

e. Required Paperwork

(1) For reimbursement when a state vehicle is NOT available Your VEHICLE REQUEST FORM (VRF) must be attached to your travel reimbursement indicating that a state vehicle was NOT available when submitted to the Travel Office. The VRF must be dated and signed by either:

Jerry Bennett of Facilities Operations or Mark Vesely, Facilities Superintendent

Please Note: If the VRF is not attached, the Travel Reimbursement form will be returned when employee’s vehicle is used and filing for the 54 cents per mile.

NOTE: To be reimbursed at the State Rate, a vehicle request form must be submitted, even if a Motor Fleet vehicle is not available on the date of the trip.

(2) State Vehicle Reservation: Current contact and procedures for reserving a state vehicle.

(3) Then go to: Reserve a Vehicle? First, make sure that your current driver's license is on file in our office. Next, call to reserve a vehicle, and then fill out a Vehicle Request Form. This form must be signed by your department head. There is a charge for use of vehicles to the employees department. Departmental account numbers must be provided on the form. Print out the form, fill it in, and return it to Facilities Operations. Read the Vehicle Use Policy.

(4) Still Have Questions? Call Facilities Operations at 910.521.6233 or email at

Walter J. Pinchbeck Maintenance Building Office Number 125 Phone Number 910-521-6167 Email:

4. Duty Station for UNCP employees is the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. When a private car is used, (within the guidelines of No. 3 above) actual business mileage is reimbursable. Mileage is measured from the closer of duty station or point of departure to destination and return.

5. More than one employee attending the same meeting should make every effort to share rides.

6. Receipts Required for:

a. motel/hotel b. taxi, limousine, bus, etc. c. air fare (passenger receipt from actual airline ticket booklet) d. tolls e. parking f. registration fee (documentation of what the fee amount is and what it covers; such as, meals, snacks, etc.) g. rental vehicles h. storage i. passport (when required for State travel)

7. Air Travel:

a. use the travel agency with whom the University has a contract b. coach/tourist fare only c. requires passenger receipt for reimbursement d. if airline reservation is changed or canceled for the personal benefit of the employee, it shall be the employee's, not the State's, obligation to pay any penalties or charges. e. frequent flyer miles and/or coupons/certificates earned or acquired during State travel is the property of the State and should be used for employee's next  airfare when on State business f. employee may claim reimbursement for a meal(s) during commercial air travel while on State business even if a meal is  shown on the flight itinerary g. when the reduced airfare rates (super saver rates) require staying overnight one Saturday night, the traveler (to be eligible for reimbursement) must stay overnight on the Saturday closest to the first or last day of official State business to which the employee is attending.

8. Daily Travel Status (not overnight) does not require a Travel Request/Authorization form unless the travel is out of state. Meals are no longer provided for one day travel.

9. Overnight Travel Status - Approved Travel Request/Authorization is required prior to travel. Actual (not estimated) time of departure and time of return must be on travel reimbursement form and must be a destination 35 miles or more from employee's home or duty station.

Cancellations of travel reservations (air, lodging, and registration fees) if made for the convenience of the employee are the employee's expense.  These charges are the University's expense only if the employee is requested by the University to cancel the travel.

Baggage Tips - limited to $3 per occurrence; reimbursement over $3 per occurrence must be accompanied by a receipt.

To be eligible for reimbursement of meals:

Breakfast - depart duty station prior to 6 a.m., extending work day by 2 hours

Lunch - depart duty station prior to noon on day of departure - return to duty station after 2 p.m. on day of return

Dinner - depart Duty Station prior to 5 p.m. and return to duty station after 8 p.m., extending work day by 3 hours

*The time of departure and arrival must be on the reimbursement form and must include a destination at least 35 miles from employee's point of departure.

10. Approved Travel Request/Authorization is required if one or more of the following apply:

a. out-of-state travel b. overnight travel c. excess is being requested

11. Telephone Calls must be for University business and identified as to destination (person or company) and purpose of call(s) on Travel Reimbursement form except as permitted under Controller's Office Policy CO 10 98.

An employee who is in travel status for two or more consecutive nights in a week is allowed one personal, long-distance telephone call for each two nights for which reimbursement to the employee may not exceed $3 for each in-State call or $5 for each out-of-state call (receipt required).

12. Prospective Professional Employees' travel expenses are limited to transportation and subsistence for a maximum of 3 days (5 days if one is a Saturday and accompanied with a reduced air fare for a Saturday night stay) at the in-state rate .

13. Travel Reimbursement Requests shall be filed for approval and payment within 30 days after the travel period ends for which the reimbursement is being requested (G.S. 138-6.) \"Travel Period\" is defined as the calendar month during which the travel occurred.

14. Motor Fleet Management Vehicles may only be driven by a State of North Carolina employee with a valid driver's license on file in the University Motor Pool office for official University business. These vehicles are reserved through the campus Motor Pool office using the Vehicle Request Form.