Travel Rate Table: Transportation, Lodging, Meals

Controller's Office Policy CO 02 92a

Transportation Rates:

A. Motor Pool mileage rates for compact sedans, midsize station wagons, mini vans, maxi vans, etc. may be verified by calling UNCP Motor Pool at extension 6167.

B. Private Vehicle

5.1.26 Transportation by Personal Vehicle

Agencies are encouraged to establish policies that promote efficient travel, such as ride-sharing. When State-owned resources are not available, the agency may procure vehicles through the State’s term contracts or reimburse use of personal vehicles. If a state employee chooses to use a personal vehicle, actual mileage is reimbursable. Mileage is measured from the closer of duty station or point of departure to destination (and return). A state employee shall be reimbursed the business standard mileage rate set by the Internal Revenue Service (57.5 cents per mile effective January 1, 2020) when using their personal vehicle for state business when the trip does not exceed 100 miles per trip. For business travel trips that utilize personal vehicles and exceed 100 miles per trip, the employee shall be reimbursed at a rate that would not exceed 33 cents a mile. Parking fees, tolls, and storage fees are reimbursable when the required receipts are obtained. Fines for traffic and parking violations are the responsibility of the state employee. Internal agency exceptions to this policy can be granted by agency heads, or their designees, if an agency has a unique clearly documented business need that is not directly addressed by this OSBM policy. These exceptions are public records and shall be made available upon request by OSBM staff, auditors or interested third parties.

University travelers are obligated to use a State vehicle or the University’s contract with Enterprise when the round trip exceeds 100 miles.

State Mileage Allowance Chart for Personal Vehicle Mileage Reimbursement
In the event the employee does not use a State vehicle or an Enterprise vehicle, the following rates apply for trips on or after Jan. 1, 2017: 

For State Vehicle information, see the Travel Regulations Mandates by OSB&M Policy.

Lodging and Meal Rates:    
Effective July 1, 2019    

In State 

Out of State


$ 75.10

$ 88.70











$ 39.40

$ 42.10

Total per diem for food and lodging


$ 130.80


*The payment of sales tax, lodging tax, local tax, or service fees applied to the cost of lodging is allowed in addition to the lodging rate.

*The employee may exceed the part of the ceiling allocated for lodging without approval for over expenditure provided that the total lodging and food reimbursement that the employee is entitled to for that day does not exceed the maximum allowed daily subsistence.

*Lodging must be substantiated by a receipt from a commercial lodging establishment. To be reimbursed a greater daily lodging rate than the per diem listed above, the rate must be requested as a Special Travel Designation (Excess Subsistence) on the Travel Request/Authorization form and have prior approval from the Chancellor's designee (Department Head).

**Meal rates are inclusive of gratuities and are reimbursable based upon the times/dates of departure from Duty Station (UNCP) and return to Duty Station.

Student Academic Travel Reimbursement information can be found on the Academic Affairs website at