The benefits of utilizing advisors for a fraternity/sorority are immense. Advisors provide continuity to undergraduate fraternity and sorority chapters through their commitment to support chapter members. It is important to note that advisors provide a substantial impact on all chapter operations including communication with the university, headquarters, and parents as well as supporting the personal development of chapter members. In order for chapters to be supported properly, they must utilize the guidance of support from faculty/staff advisors, chapter advisors, headquarters staff/advisors, and campus professionals.
Each fraternity and sorority at UNCP is required to have an active full-time employed faculty/staff advisor and an active chapter advisor. Each organization is encouraged to obtain an active advisory board in order to support all chapter officers, but this is not required by UNCP due to the lack of alumni/ae in the local area. Both types of advisory support are equally important to the livelihood of a fraternity/sorority, despite the difference in responsibilities.
The contact information and advisor contract are due to Campus Engagemetn and Leadership at the beginning of each academic year and must be updated immediately if any information has changed.
Chapter advisors are typically affiliated with the fraternity/sorority at an alumni/ae capacity, but this is not always the case. Each organization maintains various policies in regard to alumni/ae advisory boards. When choosing an individual to serve at a chapter advisory role, include Inter/National headquarters guidelines during the selection process. Some chapters may only require a one-chapter advisor, while other chapters utilize an entire advisory board for ample chapter support. Chapter advisors may be appointed by headquarters staff, UNCP administration, and/or the chapter may be granted the privilege of selecting their own chapter advisor.
Please review the following statements to comply with the chapter advisor expectations:
- All chapter advisors who are affiliated with the fraternity/sorority that they advise must be alumni/a member for at least two consecutive years before actively advising.
- Chapter advisors should reside or work within 100 miles of the UNCP campus. It is strongly encouraged that chapters pursue advisory support within the local area.
- Chapter advisors should partake in any advisory training sessions held by headquarters.
- Chapter advisors should be knowledgeable about all procedures and policies associated with the organization.
- Chapter advisors should be knowledgeable of all university procedures and policies associated with Life (i.e. risk management, recruitment, academic, anti-hazing).
- Chapter advisors should regularly attend advisor roundtables twice a semester held by the UNCP Fraternity and Sorority Life.
- If local fraternity/sorority alumni associations exist, chapter advisors are encouraged to actively participate.
- A member of the chapter advisory team should be present at all chapter events sponsored by the chapter.
- Actively communicate with the chapter membership, Fraternity and Sorority Life Fraternity and Sorority Life staff and headquarters.
- Participate in chapter activities in order to establish rapport and relationships with students. This will also provide more insight into the operations of the organization.
- Do as you say you will do. Set the example for students to follow your lead in living a life guided by values, ideals, and integrity.
- Assist with educational programming pertaining to the university/academic experience (i.e. time management, study skills, career development etc.).
- Focus on the growth and development of students. The main focus of the advisor is to assist in holding students accountable for their actions, as well as challenging and supporting the students to hold one another accountable for their actions. It is important to remember that the students we work with are young adults, and they should be treated this way; our role as advisors is to provide guidance and direction throughout students’ collegiate journey.
By acknowledging this terms of service, you understand the information provided above, will carry out your advisory duties, and will notify Campus Engagement and Leadership of your advising status when applicable.