The Graduate School Tuition Scholarship was established in 2017 by the Dean of The Graduate School, Dr. Irene Pittman Aiken. A $500 scholarship will be awarded annually to two exceptional graduate students to assist them with paying their graduate tuition. Recipients of the scholarship are selected on the basis of academic achievement, community engagement, and service to The University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP). The scholarship award will be posted to each student’s account to be used towards tuition for the next academic session of the student’s graduate coursework at UNCP.
General Qualifications: applicant must:
- be an enrolled (three credit hours or more) as a graduate student at UNCP;
- have a minimum UNCP Graduate School GPA of 3.5;
- obtain a letter of recommendation by the student’s program director; and
- plan to continue in their UNCP graduate school program (the award for each winner will be posted to her/his account the following term).
To apply, students should submit:
- Completed application form which includes
- A personal statement of no more than 500 words describing:
- why they are deserving of the scholarship;
- academic accomplishments;
- engagement in research and/or;
- engagement in service to the local community and/or UNCP; and/or
- financial need (this is not a need-based scholarship but need may be considered).
- A letter from their Program Director addressing candidate’s merit.
- Students are to compile all application materials (application and recommendation) and deliver them to The Graduate School Office in 124 Lindsay Hall by 5 p.m., March 31. NOTE: The application may be emailed, but the completed application must come from the student’s UNCP bravemail account and the Program Director’s recommendation must be emailed from her/his UNCP account. Emailed applications are to be sent to Dr. Kirill Bumin: firstname.lastname@example.org.