Please read ALL information carefully
- There is no rehearsal for commencement. Please arrive between 7:30 and 8:30 a.m. on May 4, 2019. There is construction on the main road, so traffic will be more hectic than usual. Please keep this in mind as you travel and please be safe! There will be police out to help direct for parking, as well as signs.
- Campus Map: uncp.edu/about/campus-map Commencement and Lineup will be in Building 176 [Jones Center]. If you have family members that wish to come but do not have a ticket, there will be an overflow area in Building 209 [Chavis University Center] where the commencement will be streamed live. There is also a reception afterward. For anyone who wants to watch the commencement live stream, here is the link: www.uncp.edu/live.
- You will line up alphabetically based on your college then degree (i.e. College of Arts and Sciences: Bachelor of Arts). You will go to your designated table to pick up your name card, then line up behind that table. On your name card there will be a number next to your name to assist with lineup. There will also be faculty and staff assisting.
- DO NOT LOSE YOUR NAME CARD. Your name is announced during commencement by your name card.
- An email was sent [Subject Line: Name and Address Confirmation] to confirm the spelling of your name for your diploma and your diploma mailing address. If you have not already checked that email, please do so as soon as possible. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any issues with your name or address.
- There will not be access to the auxiliary gym after you leave, so please do not bring items that you won’t be using during commencement (jackets, bags, etc.) If necessary, you can pass these to your family members before you line up, as long as you are back in the gym by 8:30 a.m.
- Do not forget your tickets or honor cord if you qualified for Latin honors. There will be no replacements. If you have not picked up your tickets or honor cord, please do so as soon as possible. They can be picked up at Brave Central in Lumbee Hall. If you are a distance education student and you have not requested your tickets yet, please email email@example.com to discuss your options.
- It is recommended you lay out your cap and gown before commencement to reduce wrinkles. Your tassel should have been in your cap. If you do not have a tassel, please contact the Bookstore at 910.521.6222. Undergraduate robes should not have extra fabric at the end of the sleeves. If you notice your robe has what seems to be pockets at the end of your sleeves, you may have accidentally received a graduate robe. Please contact the Bookstore if you noticed this.
- If you have not picked up your cap and gown yet, please complete the form at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/PablDOI3FAtGmXkY2. It is not recommended for anything to be mailed, as it may not arrive in time.
- There is no official dress code; we trust that you will dress appropriately. Gowns must be zipped up during the ceremony. Your tassel should be on the right for now.
- There will be announcements during lineup, so please listen carefully during this time.
- Guests need to be seated by 8:45 a.m. You will begin marching at this time, and they will need to stop letting people in until all graduates have been seated.
- Children require tickets unless they can remain seated on someone’s lap for roughly two hours of the ceremony.
- If you have someone who requires special accessibility (i.e. wheelchair or interpreter), please contact the Accessibility Resource Center at 910.521.6695 if you have not already. You can also visit their office in D.F. Lowry.
- When you walk across the stage, you will receive your cover and shake hands with the chancellor. There will be a photographer to take a picture of this moment. Information about the photographs taken will be sent to your BraveMail.
- Please pay attention to the faculty marshals, as they will indicate when to stand, sit, and lineup. At the stage you will walk up the ramp and stop. You will hand your card in when you reach the stage just before you march across.
- When you hear your name, begin walking. Reach out to accept the diploma cover with your left hand and extend your right hand to shake the hands of the chancellor and the deans. REMINDER: A photograph is being taken as you walk across the stage so try to be aware of where the photographer is located.
- As you reach the bottom of the ramp you will stop to shake hands with representatives from the Alumni office and to receive your UNCP alumni pin.
- At the end of the ceremony, remain standing at your seat until your Marshal leads you out for the recessional.
- Do not skip seats and do not leave anything in your seat when you leave to receive your diploma cover.
- If you need medical or emergency assistance during the ceremony, Health Services is located at the back of the audience.
- If you are not participating in the commencement, please make sure to complete the absentia application if you want your diploma cover mailed to you.
- Diplomas will be mailed out in February for those that have met all requirements. An email will be sent to your BraveMail when your diploma is shipped via USPS. Walking at commencement does not guarantee graduation, as final grades are not due until May 6. If you are missing a requirement for graduation, you will be emailed to your BraveMail about your situation, as well as your next steps.
- You should have access to your BraveMail up to a year after your graduation date. Please contact the Helpdesk at 910.521.6260 if you cannot access your BraveMail.
If you have additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org from your BraveMail.
Additional Graduation Tips:
Have you repeated a course? Did you complete the Replacement of Grade form?
This is not an automatic process, as each student has a different amount of grade replacements that they can use, based on transfer work and admission (or readmission) date.
Transfer or Readmission Hours
Maximum hours for replacement
15 (or 12 if entry after Fall 2013)
90 or more
Candidate for a second Bachelor’s Degree
If you did not do a grade replacement, both grades count towards your GPA. Grade replacements cannot be complete after your degree is awarded.
How to tell if a course has been replaced:
- Log on to Braveweb
- Banner Self Service
- Student Records
- Degree Audit Online Request
- Submit an Audit
- Run Audit
- View Submitted audits
- Refresh the list until your name and major appears and then click the major under view link.
- View Printer Friendly Version
- Under: "In -progress courses that are repeated courses may not be a true reflection of earned hours," you will see any courses you repeated. If your courses look like this:, it means your grades have not been replaced yet. If you have already completed the course, please submit a Replacement of Grade form. If you are still in progress for the course, please submit the form after your grades are posted.
Are you completing courses at another college to transfer back?
You must submit your final transcripts as soon as possible, or you will no longer be eligible for Spring 2019 graduation, and your date will be changed to Fall 2019. Also, a Request for Transfer Credit should have been done before you signed up for the courses. If you did not already compete the form, you will need to submit this as soon as possible. Any grades below a C will not be eligible for transfer.
If you are taking a course at another college, please email email@example.com with your information and your copy of the Request for Transfer credit, as well as date of completion of the course at the other college. It is also recommended to email once you submit the transcript and the method of submission (i.e. electronic or mail).
Business Administration and Accounting students with catalog years 2014 or later:
Your passport program must be completed in order to be eligible for graduation, or your graduation date will be moved to Fall 2019. Please contact Cecelia Locklear at Cecelia.firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns. Please email email@example.com your estimated date of completion if you are still working on your passport program.