Mission Statement: Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Degree
The mission of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, as determined by its commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and service, is to maintain an academic environment that:
- Provides quality academic programs that encourage student interaction with faculty and that encourage students to perform with distinction within and beyond the University.
- Provides faculty with opportunities, resources, and rewards to achieve excellence in teaching, research and service to the University, to the profession, and to the community.
- Enhances and enriches the intellectual, economic, and social/cultural life of the region.
- Assists graduate students as they develop from competent mathematics educators into leaders in the decision making processes that are critical to mathematical education.
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science strives to achieve a reasonable balance between the intellectual and practical issues which permeate these two fields and to help students in engaging in a process of lifelong learning for future endeavors. It is our intent that students, both majors and non-majors, be equipped with ideas and tools which afford them support for the challenges they will encounter in ever-changing vocational and professional worlds. The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is committed to the following goals:
- To maintain an environment that is conducive to student learning and growth both during and after the university experience
- To ensure quality and up-to-date academic programs in mathematics and computer science while emphasizing student interaction with faculty
- To ensure learning opportunities in the Liberal Arts with mathematics and computer science as support for a wide range of present and future vocations
- To encourage meaningful faculty growth in teaching and research
- To provide and support activities and state-of-the-art facilities designed to enrich the educational experiences of our students
- To participate in conserving the rich cultural heritage of this university as well as that of the surrounding region
- To assist our graduate students in assuming leadership positions as mathematics educators