Assistant Professor & Director, Professional School Counseling Program
Already have a masters in counseling? Add the school counseling license!
Candidates possessing a graduate degree in a counseling area (completion of a master’s degree in addiction; career; clinical mental health; clinical rehabilitation; college counseling and student affairs; marriage, couple, and family counseling; or rehabilitation) may apply for admission to the Professional School Counseling program for licensure-only status.
Please note: This program meets NCDPI requirements for provisional licensure as set forth in Policy: LICN-001, 7-5-2018 (G.S. 115C-296).
Summary of the School Counseling Licensure-Only protocol and policy
1. Candidates seeking licensure-only status must apply for program admission through the School of Graduate School.
2. Only candidates with at least a 48-hour graduate degree in a qualifying counseling speciality area (i.e., addiction; career; clinical mental health; clinical rehabilitation; college counseling and student affairs; marriage, couple, and family counseling; or rehabilitation counseling) from a regionally accredited program will be considered for licensure-only status.
3. Once admitted, students will be issued a Plan of Study (POS).
4. Students must complete their POS within 3 years.
5. Students must earn a “B” or better in all graded coursework applied toward satisfying licensure-only requirements.
6. Students are obligated to adhere to all other policies established by the program, school, and university.
7. Students must take Praxis II Specialty Area Test in School Counseling at the conclusion of their Internship.
8. Students should be aware that UNCP makes recommendation for licensure only; licensure is granted by the NCDPI. Thus, there may be other requirements mandated by NCDPI before a license will be issued.
Licensure-Only Plan of Study
I. School Counseling Specialty Courses (12 Semester Hours)
Required: CNS 5350, CNS 5550
Select 2 courses from: CNS 5250, CNS 5310, CNS 5060, CNS 5750
II. Practicum and Internship Requirement (9 Semester Hours)
CNS 6100 (in a school setting)
CNS 6130 (course is repeated once)