Study Abroad

Financial aid funds are available for study abroad, however all degree-seeking UNC Pembroke students in good academic standing, who are interested in education abroad program, and wish to use their financial aid for this purpose, must complete the study abroad process with the Office of International Programs, and the necessary steps required to receive credit for course work taken at the host school.

All students are eligible to apply for financial aid.  Aid can exist as a grant, scholarship or loan.  Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility for grant aid and receive student loans.  Federal and state grants are awarded at the beginning of the academic year.  Loans are usually the only source of aid available if additional funding is needed due to the extra costs associated with education abroad.  There is a loan limit per academic year; the amount depends upon the grade level of the students. If students have used all of their loans, parents may apply for a parent plus loan or the student may choose to seek an alternative loan.

The Office of International Programs provides a budget that consists of books/supplies, tuition/fees, program fees, transportation and miscellaneous items.  These costs are used to determine the amount of aid you can receive.

Aid provided to a student is applied to the student’s UNCP account to pay existing charges.  After existing UNCP charges and fees are paid, the remaining amount is provided to students as a refund.  Students must establish an account with the Student Accounts Office in order to access the funding electronically. 

Funding for students will be in accordance with University established aid availability dates.  Program expenses that have deadlines prior those dates, such as deposits and airfare, have to be paid with other sources of money.  Those costs are included in the aid award.

After the study abroad period, students must have their final transcripts submitted to UNC Pembroke for continued financial aid eligibility determination.  If this does not occur, all aid will be removed from the students’ accounts.

Per the US Department of Education, transcript must be received in order to determine:

  • Whether the final transcript may impact a student’s eligibility under Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) rules;
  • Whether a student may have withdrawn from school, and, if so, then financial aid funds must be recalculated and could result in student’s balance owed to UNCP;
  • Whether the student started every class, and, if not, the University must perform financial aid recalculation and student could owe funds back to UNCP.