Student Complaints

Student complaints, including claims that their rights under law or university policy have been violated, may be resolved by a two-step process.

Step 1 – All Students:

The initial responsibility for resolving the complaint is located with the institution. Your first step as a student, regardless of location, is to follow UNC Pembroke's Complaint ProcessStudents should first be encouraged to discuss their complaints directly with the person responsible. If the issue is not or cannot be resolved through discussion with the responsible person, then the student should complete the Student Complaint Form and submit it to department chair or supervisor of the person against whom the complaint is to be made. For more information regarding UNC Pembroke's Complaint Process, please contact the Director of Student Conduct:

Dr. Margaret Dutnell

University Center Annex 207

PO Box 1510 Pembroke, NC 28372

Phone: 910.521.6851

Concerns should be expressed as soon as possible after the event occurs; some of the procedures below have specific deadlines for filing grievances or complaints.

Step 2 - Your Location Determines Your Next Step:

  • Most Out-of-State Students: If a complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting UNC Pembroke's Complaint Process (Step 1), then out-of-state students located in NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement) states, which includes all states except California, may submit complaints to SARA-North Carolina. SARA-North Carolina operates under NCSEAA (North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority). Access the Complaint Form at SARA-North Carolina Student Complaint Process web page.

Contact Information for North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority:

North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority

c/o SARA North Carolina

P.O. Box 41349

Raleigh, NC 27629

Toll-free: 855.SARA.1.NC (727.2162)

Local: 919.549.8614, ext. 4667

Fax: 919.248.6667


Contact Information for North Carolina Post Secondary Education Complaints:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

c/o Student Complaints

223 S. West Street, Suite 1800

Raleigh NC 27603

Phone: 919-962-4550



Additional Resources:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges

1866 Southern Lane

Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097

Phone: 404.679.4500


National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity

3005 Center Green Drive, Suite 130

Boulder, Colorado 80301

Phone: 303.848.3275