The second annual #BraveNation Powwow and Gathering (BNPG) will be held Saturday, March 24 in the gym of the English E. Jones Athletic Center at The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
Grand entry is at 12 p.m. Doors open to the public at 10 a.m.
Everyone is invited to join the #BraveNation as we celebrate the rich history and culture of America’s Indigenous peoples. The powwow and gathering features competition dancing, vendors, an alumni reception, and recruitment activities for American Indian high school students. This is an alcohol and drug-free event.
Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for elders (60+), and free for children (6 and under) and UNCP students with a UNCP ID.
Dancer registration is $5 per contest, while drum registration is $25. Art vendor registration is $50 while food vendor registration is $100. The vendor registration form is available at uncp.edu/powwow.
A commemorative T-shirt is available for purchase. Adult sizes are $15 and youth are $10.
The dance categories and prize amounts are:
- Drum Contest: 1st: $500, 2nd: $350, and 3rd: $200
- Adult (18+): 1st: $150, 2nd: $100, and 3rd: $75 (men’s northern and southern traditional, women’s northern and southern traditional, men’s fancy, women’s fancy, men’s grass, and women’s jingle).
- Teen (13-17): 1st: $100, 2nd: $75, and 3rd: $50 (men’s northern and southern traditional, women’s northern and southern traditional, men’s fancy, women’s fancy, men’s grass, and women’s jingle).
- Junior (6-12): 1st: $75, 2nd: $50, and 3rd: $25 (boy’s traditional, girl’s traditional, boy’s fancy, and girl’s fancy).
- Tiny Tot (5 and under): $5 each
- Alumni Special: 1st: $125 (men and women)
- Hand Drum Special: 1st: $125
- Smoke Dance Special: 1st: $125 (men and women)
Head staff are:
- MC: Sharon Berrun
- Arena Director: Terry White
- Host Drum: Stoney Creek
- Head Dancers: Male – Ethan Oxendine (UNCP student) and Female – Jasmine Jacobs (UNCP student)
- Head Judges: Drum - Chris Conner `05, `07, Dance - Christopher Richardson `03, and Tabulator - Becky Goins `96, `14
For a complete list of sponsors, please visit our website uncp.edu/powwow. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 910.775.4579.