The Office of Student Inclusion & Diversity, along with other departments and student organizations, will host events during Banned Book Week which focus on engaging students in dialogue around the removal of books in public spaces.
To be held October 2-6, 2023, Banned Book Week is an annual event celebrated nationally that, according to the American Library Association (2023), “highlights the value of free and open access to information and brings together the entire book community in shared support of the freedom to seek and to express ideas.” Banned Book Week was launched in 1982 in response to a sudden surge in the number of challenges to books in libraries, bookstores, and schools.
Events to be held include:
October 3, 2023
- Brave Exchange: Dialogue on Removal of Books. In conjunction with Voter Education Week, join Student Inclusion & Diversity and Community & Civic Engagement outside of Starbucks (DF Lowry Building) from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. to engage in deliberative dialogue and share your thoughts around the removal of books in public libraries.
October 4, 2023
- Banned Book Reading: Bring an excerpt from your favorite book that has been banned or removed from a public library or space to the Livermore Library Reading room. The event begins at 6 p.m. and is sponsored by the Livermore Library and Student Inclusion & Diversity. Cookies and cocoa will be available.
October 5, 2023
- Swing by the Chavis Center lobby between 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. to join Student Inclusion & Diversity and Art Club to discuss graphic novels that have been removed from public spaces and try your hand at drawing and creating your own novel! BraveConnect:
October 6, 2023
- Join the student organization Beyond the Lines as they facilitate a discussion about the impact of book bans on the reading community. The event will be held in Old Main 124 at 5 p.m. BraveConnect:
October 9, 2023
- Crafternoon with OSID: Crafting and Dialogue. Join OSID in the Pine Hall Multipurpose Room at 5 p.m. for a dialogue and crafting around representation in media. BraveConnect:
The week activities are sponsored by the Office of Student Inclusion & Diversity, the Livermore Library, the student organizations Beyond the Lines and the Art Club and the Office of Community and Civic Engagement.
For more information about these events and other diversity awareness programming at UNCP, visit BraveConnect, contact the Office of Student Inclusion & Diversity at 910.521.6508 or email@example.com, or visit uncp.edu/osid.