The Department of Inclusive Education offers the Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education. It is our intent that elementary education graduates will motivate and engage their Kindergarten-Grade 6 students in active learning and that they will inspire them to become lifelong learners.
Through the TA to Teacher pathway, the University of North Carolina at Pembroke Educator Preparation Program will host the courses required in the Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education as a Degree Completion program designed specifically for Teacher Assistants who have an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree. Candidates within the TA to Teacher pathway will actively engage in a Professional Learning Community model through being committed, collaborative, and competent.
The TA to Teacher Pathway includes:
- cohorts beginning during the fall semester only
- online and weekend courses (for fall and spring semesters)
- summer intensive sessions with on campus developmental coursework
- field experience and clinical practice (student teaching) in local schools
- an advisor who assists candidates with course decisions and approves his or her program of study
Eligible candidates should contact their Human Resources Specialist, at their local district office, to inquire about funding to assist with undergraduate tuition and fees.
The UNCP Elementary Education Program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Undergraduate Elementary Education program is approved by the NC State Board of Education. Individuals who complete the Undergraduate Elementary Education program are eligible for an Initial Professional license to teach in the state of North Carolina.
TA to Teacher Testimonial:
“As a parent, full-time employee, and full-time student, the TA to Teacher pathway at UNCP has truly been a blessing to me. It has given me the opportunity to remain employed while obtaining my degree. It is fast paced but is doable and worth the sacrifice. In a matter of two years, I have gone from being a teacher assistant to a teacher candidate without breaking the bank. Thank you UNCP School of Education for this amazing pathway.”
-Annette Hunt, TA to Teacher Cohort 1 Candidate
- A completed Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree. Please note, an Applied Associate degree is not applicable for this model.
- Currently employed as a teacher assistant
- Complete and submit a UNCP transfer application (click HERE). Be sure to include ALL transcripts for the college courses that you have taken.
- Register for and attend transfer student orientation (advising will take place during orientation)
- Inquire about funding with the Human Resources Specialist at your local district office
For additional information, please contact:
Dr. Jennifer A. Whittington, Ed.D.
Undergraduate Elementary Education Program Coordinator, Assistant Professor
Dr. Lisa Mitchell
Associate Dean, School of Education; Associate Professor, Inclusive Education
Dr. LaMorris N. Smith, Ed.D.
Director of Teacher Recruitment, Lecturer, Elementary Education