The University of North Carolina at Pembroke salutes our men and women in uniform serving honorably around the globe. We are here to support you in your efforts to further your education through our physical campus, Distance Education and Online programs. We are here to assist you in the application process and provide instructions for applying and receiving education benefits. Let us be part of your next mission as you start earning your degree now!
Application Fee Waiver
UNCP is proud of your military service. We honor and recognize the service of our military men and women. The application fee is waived for active duty military members and veterans upon submission of proper documentation (LES or DD-214) to the applicable office of admissions (Graduate or Undergraduate). The application fees are waived for active duty, veterans, reservists and members of the National Guard.
For active duty service members, the high school transcript requirement can be waived if:
- the student holds an associate's degree, or
- the student is at least 24 years of age and has completed at least 30 semester hours of college level transferable work from a regionally accredited institution with a 2.0 or higher transfer GPA.
If a student is using Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Education benefits they will have to provide a copy of their high school transcript to the School Certifying Official even if they have a completed associate's degree.
Course Credit for Military Training
Transfer your prior military training and experience into college credit. Request a military transcript at the websites listed below:
VA Education Benefits
UNC Pembroke is authorized by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to certify students who qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty/Selected Reserves), Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program, Reserve Education Assistance Program, as well as those who qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and Vocational Rehabilitation.
New Students Using VA Education Benefits at UNCP
New students planning to use VA Education Benefits should submit the following documents to the School Certifying Official in Academic and Military Outreach located on the 2nd Floor of Hickory Hall North or email email@example.com:
- Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) or confirmation page from submission of online application for benefits.
- DD214 (member 4 preferable) VETERANS ONLY
***Online Enrollment Certification Form ***
UNCP military affiliated students (Veteran, Active Duty, Guard, Reservist, and Dependent) using VA Education benefits at UNCP are required to complete an Enrollment Certification Request each semester for which they wish to receive payment of their VA Education benefits. You are required to complete and submit this form AFTER you have registered for classes. Failure to submit the form may cause a delay in the processing and receipt of benefit payments.
In-State Tuition for VA Education Benefit Recipients
In compliance with Section 1005 of P.L.116-315 (Isakson and Roe Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020), the following individuals shall be charged in-state rates at UNCP:
- A Veteran using educational assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in North Carolina while attending a school located in North Carolina (regardless of their formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school following discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
- Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in North Carolina while attending a school located in North Carolina (regardless of their formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school after the transferor’s discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
- Anyone described above while they remain continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person so described must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.
- Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in North Carolina while attending a school located in North Carolina (regardless of their formal State of residence).
- Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 G.I. Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in North Carolina while attending a school located in North Carolina (regardless of their formal state of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.
How to Request Military Tuition Assistance
The process for requesting Tuition Assistance is generally the same for all branches of the military and is outlined in the basic steps below. Please contact your Education Services Officer (ESO) for information regarding the specific type of military Tuition Assistance you are using. You are able to request your TA. Each of the five branches of the military has a Tuition Assistance (TA) program with service-specific criteria. If you have questions or need assistance with using Department of Defense (DoD) TA at UNCP please contact Academic & Military Outreach at 910-775-4438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important note about registration: Students using TA should make all enrollment changes in their UNCP BraveWeb account.
Our staff is ready to assist you in a smooth transition from the military to the classroom. Contact one of our military friendly representatives to assist with your specific interest: