Military Affiliated Student Resources

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke salutes our men and women in uniform serving honorably around the globe. We are here to support you in your efforts to further your education through our physical campus, Distance Education and Online programs. We are here to assist you in the application process and provide instructions for applying and receiving education benefits. Let us be part of your next mission as you start earning your degree now!

Application Fee Waiver

UNCP is proud of your military service. We honor and recognize the service of our military men and women. The application fee is waived for active duty military members and veterans upon submission of proper documentation (LES or DD-214) to the applicable office of admissions (Graduate or Undergraduate). The application fees are waived for active duty, veterans, reservists and members of the National Guard.

For active duty service members, the high school transcript requirement can be waived if:

  • the student holds an associate's degree, or
  • the student is at least 24 years of age and has completed at least 30 semester hours of college level transferable work from a regionally accredited institution with a 2.0 or higher transfer GPA.

If a student is using Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Education benefits they will have to provide a copy of their high school transcript to the School Certifying Official even if they have a completed associate's degree.

Course Credit for Military Training

Transfer your prior military training and experience into college credit. Request a military transcript at the websites listed below:

VA Education Benefits

UNC Pembroke is authorized by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to certify students who qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty/Selected Reserves), Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program, Reserve Education Assistance Program, as well as those who qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and Vocational Rehabilitation.

New Students Using VA Education Benefits at UNCP

New students who are planning to use VA Education Benefits should submit the following documents to the School Certifying Official (SCO) in the Academic and Military Outreach located in the Rally Point Veterans Center (2nd Floor of the Hickory Hall North) or email them to

  • Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) or confirmation page from submission of online application for benefits.
  • DD214 (member 4 preferable) VETERANS ONLY

***Online Enrollment Certification Form ***

UNCP military affiliated students (Veteran, Active Duty, Guard, Reservist, and Dependent) using VA Education benefits at UNCP are required to complete an Enrollment Certification Request each semester for which they wish to receive payment of their VA Education benefits.  You are required to complete and submit this form AFTER you have registered for classes. Failure to submit the form may cause a delay in the processing and receipt of benefit payments.


Veterans Choice Act (In-State Tuition Waiver)

In August 2014 Congress passed the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014. Section 702 of the “Choice Act” requests that UNC system schools provide in-state residency for tuition purposes to veterans and their family members using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) or the Active Duty Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) for terms that begin after July 1, 2015 with the following qualifying circumstances:

  • A Veteran who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using transferred benefits who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within 3 years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Most recent DD-214, Member 4 for the veteran who earned the GI Bill entitlement to be used.
  • Completed Section 702 Residency Application Form.
  • Proof of a North Carolina address, such as a housing contract, lease agreement, or mortgage.

A student seeking in-state tuition under Section 702 must be using GI Bill entitlement for the term in which their resident status will be evaluated. Military affiliated students seeking in-state tuition under the Veterans Choice Act must indicate their intent to use GI Bill entitlement while attending school when they complete the Residency Determination Service RDS. If a military affiliated student using GI Bill education benefit has been denied in-state tuition  and they are using GI Bill entitlement for the term in which they are seeking residency, they can appeal the decision and seek to qualify for in-state tuition under the Veteran's Choice Act through RDS. Completion and submission of residency information or appeals for military affiliated students using GI Bill entitlement follows the established residency deadlines for the term in which the student is applying for consideration.

Residency Determination Service

How to Request Military Tuition Assistance

The process for requesting Tuition Assistance is generally the same for all branches of the military and is outlined in the basic steps below. Please contact your Education Services Officer (ESO) for information regarding the specific type of military Tuition Assistance you are using. You are able to request your TA. Each of the five branches of the military has a Tuition Assistance (TA) program with service-specific criteria. If you have questions or need assistance with using Department of Defense (DoD) TA at UNCP please contact Academic & Military Outreach at 910-775-4438 or email

Air Force Virtual Education Center

ArmyIgnitED Tuition Assistance

Coast Guard Tuition Assistance (ETQC)

Marine Corps webTA

Navy Tuition Assistance

Army Tuition Assistance (TA) – ArmyIgnitED

Below is a snapshot of what Army Tuition Assistance (ArmyIgnitED) will cover. If you have not yet set up an account with ArmyIgnitED, your first step is to visit the ArmyIgnitED website and follow the “Get Started” steps. To determine your eligibility, please check out the full eligibility requirements posted on the ArmyIgnitED website or contact your Education Services Officer (ESO) directly.

  • May cover up to $250 per credit hour in tuition.
  • Does not cover UNC Pembroke student fees.
  • Fiscal year cap of $4000.
  • Maximum of 16 credit hours may be covered per fiscal year.
  • Soldiers are limited to 130 credit hours to complete one Bachelor’s Degree and 39 credit hours to complete one Master’s Degree. Post-Graduate degrees typically do not qualify for Army Tuition Assistance. One Certificate program may be approved for Army Tuition Assistance.

Important note about registration: Army students should make all enrollment changes in their UNCP BraveWeb account.

TA Request Timeframes

BRANCH Start Date End Date
Air Force

45 days before term starts

7 days before term starts
Army 60 days before term starts  day before term starts
Coast Guard 90 days before term starts 16 days before term starts
Navy 120 days before term starts 14 days before term starts
Marines 60 days before term starts 1 day before term starts

    Campus Resources

    Our staff is ready to assist you in a smooth transition from the military to the classroom. Contact one of our military friendly representatives to assist with your specific interest: