Change of Major

During the course of your study, you may decide to change your major or curriculum, add a co-major, or change your level of study.

English Language Institute students may go on to begin their intended undergraduate or graduate degree, and undergraduate students may decide to begin a graduate degree after completing their bachelors or engaging in post-completion OPT. 

  • Changes in major and level require a SEVIS update and must be completed concurrently with (or before) the change in University records.
  • A new Form I-20 (DS-2019 for J-1 students) must be issued to reflect the new major and new program end date. 


  • You should request a new I-20 or DS-2019 by completing and submitting the Change of Major form, and proof of funding, to the Office of Global Engagement.
  • This process may require new financial documentation and a new estimated date of completion that is agreed upon by you and your academic adviser.
  • If you do not arrange to have your SEVIS record updated to reflect a new major, co-major, or minor, you may be "out of status", and will possibly have to apply for re-instatement.
  • Submit the complete COM application to OGE within 30 days prior to the start of the semester you will begin your new major.