Serving a diverse student body, we transform lives through an affordable, personalized, high quality business education that meets the economic needs of local businesses and the community.
The James A. Thomas School of Business will provide a world-class business education to the most diverse community in southeastern United States by combining a state-of-the-art classroom technology, small, personalized class sizes, and a high-value global curriculum, that promotes regional economic development and business community engagement.
Consistent with UNCP’s general core values and the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) of the James A. Thomas School of Business (i.e., Community Engagement and Economic Well-being), we espouse the following values:
- Ethics–We prepare students to discover ethical solutions to meet societal challenges.
- Collegiality and Shared Governance–Administrators, faculty, staff and students interact professionally with mutual respect.
- Diversity and Inclusion–We prepare students with a greater appreciation for diversity in people and ideas.
- A Global Perspective–We prepare business leaders for work in a globalized economy.
- Personalized Learning–We provide a personal learning environment to all students–online and face to face.
- Experiential Learning and Impactful Research–We engage in pedagogical and scholarly activities that promote economic well-being.
- Community Engagement–We engage the business community via the Thomas Entrepreneurship HUB, SBTDC, and other expert resources to promote transformative societal impact.
Promote a high value proposition for the School of Business
Deliver/Maintain a robust, career ready curriculum
Promote faculty and student engagement with community by leveraging resources at the Thomas Entrepreneurship HUB and the Small Business Technology and Development Center (SBTDC).
- Improve stakeholder engagement
- Recruit, retain, and graduate a diverse body of high-quality students.
- Build and grow partnerships and communication between the James A. Thomas School of Business and the regional, national, and international academic and business communities to promote economic development of the region and to provide students with a global perspective.
- Embrace and nurture the institutional diversity of faculty, students, and staff at UNCP to enhance learning and the UNCP experience.
- Obtain additional non-state revenue to support student scholarships and faculty development.
- Promote and support experiential learning, career readiness, scholarship, and service with high public value.
"Quality Matters (QM) is a faculty-centered, peer review process that is designed to certify the quality of online and blended courses. QM is a leader in quality assurance for online education and has received national recognition for its peer-based approach and continues improvement in online education and student learning."
The Thomas School of Business Quality Matters Team members have completed either one or both of the below workshops offered by the QM Program and are fully qualified to assist other faculty members in designing online and hybrid courses based on the QM Rubric and to review existing or new online and hybrid courses for consistency with the QM Rubric.
- Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR)
- Peer Reviewer Course (PRC)
Members of the Thomas School of Business Quality Matters Team are:
- Victor Bahhouth (APQMR and PRC)
- Rick Crandall (APPQMR and PRC)
- Rebecca Gonzalez (APPQMR and PRC)
- Richard Kang (APPQMR and PRC)
- Cliff Mensah (APPQMR and PRC)
- Jack Spillan (APPQMR and PRC)
- Stewart Thomas (APPQMR and PRC)
- Chris Ziemnowicz (APPQMR)