Parents & Visitors

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex/gender-based discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Sexual harassment, which includes acts of sexual violence, is a form of gender-based discrimination prohibited by Title IX. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the Clery Act) ensures that institutions are transparent with their efforts to keep students and employees safe, provide educational sessions on sexual misconduct issues, and provide an appropriate response and process should sexual misconduct occur.

The University of North Carolina at Pembroke is committed to an educational environment where all students and employees have the opportunity to live, learn and work free from gender-based discrimination, gender-based harassment and sexual violence. Under our sexual misconduct policies, Sexual Violence is an umbrella term that includes: dating violence, domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault.

Anyone – of any gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, citizenship status, race, class or educational level – can suffer from sexual misconduct, including sexual violence. The goal of this website is to help you understand what sexual misconduct and sexual violence means and let you know that there are people at UNC Pembroke and in the community who can help.

At UNC Pembroke, the Title IX Coordinator & Clery Compliance Officer can receive reports from anyone of alleged sexual misconduct by students, employees, and/or visitors. The Title IX Coordinator & Clery Compliance Officer, working with other campus officials as necessary, will take prompt action to support and protect, to the fullest extent possible, students, employees, and visitors from further sexual misconduct or retaliation.

Please see links to the right for additional information on getting help, students and employee rights, UNCP policies and regulations, and other issues related to campus gender-based discrimination, gender-based harassment and sexual violence.

Please note: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) strictly limits the disclosure of a student’s college records without the student’s consent, except in limited circumstances.  This will include any discussions with the Office of Title IX and Clery Compliance.

Please go to Resources page on the Title IX and Clery Compliance website for key community, state, and federal contacts.


Getting Immediate Help

If a sexual assault or other form of sexual violence occurred off-campus, students should call 911 or go to the local law enforcement department. 

If a sexual assault or other form of sexual violence occurred on-campus, students should call UNCP Police and Public Safety at 910.521.6235 or 911 for Robeson County Dispatch.

While incidents of sexual violence are crimes, students have the right to decide if they want campus law enforcement involvement, and if so, only then will notice with personally identifiable information be given to UNCP Police and Public Safety for incidents that occur on campus.  If the student does not want law enforcement involvement, then no notice will be given to UNCP Police and Public Safety for incidents that occur on campus.  However, the student, as well as an employee or visitor, may provide notice to the Office of Title IX and Clery Compliance (Title IX coordinator & Clery Compliance Officer) for assistance in dealing with incidents of sexual misconduct, to include incidents of sexual violence.  The Title IX coordinator & Clery Compliance Office should provide reasonable assistance designed to help the student/employee/visitor by providing, as appropriate, advocacy; counseling; an investigation; and interim measures such as mutual no-contact orders, academic, housing, and workplace modifications, excused absences, and extended time to complete and/or submit assignments.

Students can contact the Office of Title IX & Clery Compliance by using the Sexual Misconduct Reporting Form on the Title IX & Clery Compliance website or by calling 910.521.6281

The student should get medical attention as soon as possible. Police and Public Safety can help the student get medical care or the student can go on their own to a local hospital. 

For more information, please see Something has happened: I need help and Who can I talk to?