Any dishonest or improper act by an employee such as those that violate the law, waste money, or endanger public health and safety, are of concern to UNCP. In addition, North Carolina General Statute § 143B-920 requires all state agencies, including UNCP, to report misuse of state property.
When potential violations are reported, all reports are investigated as promptly and discreetly as possible with the facts made available only to those who need to investigate and resolve the matter. UNCP Policy 07.45.01, Misuse of State Property, protects employees who have reported suspected criminal activity in good faith from retaliation.
What Should Be Reported
Dishonest or fraudulent activities include:
- Forgery or alteration of documents
- Misrepresentation of information on documents
- Misuse, mismanagement, or misappropriation of funds, supplies, or any other asset
- Improper handling or reporting of money transactions
- Authorizing or receiving payments for goods not received or services not performed
- Authorizing or receiving payments for hours not worked
- Theft of university property
- Personal use of university purchasing cards, materials, or assets
- Falsification of documents or reports
- Any apparent violation of Federal, State, or local laws
- Any unusual or suspicious activity
How to Report
To report suspected fraud, waste, or abuse of university resources you may:
Report it to your Supervisor.
Alert those in your chain of supervision and give them a chance to solve or resolve it.
Report it to Internal Audit.
Contact us at 910-775-4403 or complete our Anonymous Form for Reporting Fraud and Abuse. These forms are sent directly to UNCP's Office of Internal Audit.
Report it to the Office of the State Auditor.