January 20, 2022
All classes and campus activities have been cancelled for Friday, January 21, 2022. As we anticipate a potential winter weather event, we encourage all campus residents to prepare in advance. Many of you may decide to go home if you live within close proximity to campus. During winter weather events, you can lose heat, power and the ability to communicate. In preparation, we encourage all UNCP students to do the following:
- Keep your cell phones charged in case of power outages.
- Check your stock of non-perishable food, water and juice.
- Have enough snacks and meals to last for 2-3 days (those without meal plans).
- Check your flashlights and get new batteries.
- Take a shower on Thursday night.
- Have a supply of clean clothes and blankets to utilize to stay clean and warm.
- Students with medical conditions who need to be refrigerated can obtain styrofoam coolers from residence hall offices.
- Be mindful of COVID-19 symptoms and send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns.
UNCP uses the following methods to communicate decisions regarding weather closures. Text and emails will be sent to alert you about changes. Any changes in class schedules or building closures will be included in the messages.
Service hours for on¿campus dining will depend on weather conditions. Dining will occur in the University Center from 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. for breakfast, and 11:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. for lunch/dinner as weather permits. Each residence hall will have snacks that will be distributed by the residence life staff. If power outages occur, dining times are subject to change. Any changes will be communicated via email or text.
Quarantine and Isolation Meals
Students in quarantine/isolation housing will continue to have meals delivered with a greater quantity of juices and water for hydration.
- Dail 9-1-1 in all emergency situations
- Call UNCP Police and Public Safety (910.521.6235) to report accidents or damage to property, or if you are feeling ill.
- Download and monitor the UNCP LiveSafe App
- Exercise caution when walking on icy or slippery surfaces
- Avoid playing in parking lots
- Beware of tree branches that may break and fall due to accumulated ice or snow.
- Beware of slick surfaces inside buildings (e.g., if people track snow on uncarpeted floors and the snow melts).
Student in need of transportation for shopping purposes are encouraged to take the UNCP shopping shuttle or ride with classmates and friends. Shuttle services will be discontinued as inclement weather becomes imminent.
The University Center and Wellness Center will be open on a limited basis as weather permits. Student Health Services staff will be available for telehealth and COVID care consultations by calling 910.521.6219. Questions of an academic nature should be directed to the appropriate faculty member. For all other questions, contact the Office of Student Affairs at email@example.com.
Housing & Residence Life