Please use the form below to report any problems with the library laptops.
Use the form below to report any hardware, software, access, or other technology-related problems to the Systems Department.
This application is for non-students only. Students should apply through the Career Center's Brave Opportunities system.
The Library welcomes applications for assistant positions. Graduate and undergraduate students must apply through the Career Center's Brave Opportunities system. Non student applications may be made online using the Library Assistant Application.
We hire assistants in the following categories:
- Work Study – Students that have been granted federal or state work study monies as part of their Financial Aid package. If you are unsure if you have work study, contact the Financial Aid Office at 910.521.6255 or email@example.com. Positions at the Library for work study are available, and applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
- Contracted Assistantships – Students or non-students hired by the Library from our internal budget on a contractual basis. Students applying for a contracted assistantship must have one year of library experience. At this time, due to budget constraints, no further contracted assistantships are available. You may submit an application to be kept on file should a position become available. Applications are kept on file for one semester, after which time you would need to reapply.
- Youth Start – High school students participating in a work experience program in cooperation with their high school, the UNCP Regional Center, and the assigned work place. Youth Start is funded by the Workforce Investment Act through a contractual arrangement with Lumber River Council of Governments. If you are interested in this program, please contact your high school guidance counselor. The Library employs up to two Youth Start students, and applications will be handled in conjunction with the UNCP Regional Center.
- International Students – Students who are not U.S. citizens may apply for Library assistantships through the International Programs Office, which assists students with on campus employment from their own internal budget. Applicants should contact the International Programs Office at 910.775.4095 or firstname.lastname@example.org to verify if any positions are available. Positions at the Library for international students are available, and applications are accepted on an ongoing basis; however, International Programs retains the final placement decision.
The Library has assistantships in several of its departments, but availability varies. The Access Services/Reference Librarian makes placement decisions in consultation with other library staff members. So while assistants may have a preference, they must be willing to work in any library service area.
Depending on the work area of the Library to which the assistant is assigned, the following is a list of possible library assistant duties:
- Data entry
- Filing government documents
- General office work
- Media processing – including cleaning
- Organizing items for archiving
- Technical support
- Unpacking books
- Use the Library’s online catalog
- Using the microfilm machine
- Working with computerized library systems
Depending on the work area of the Library to which the assistant is assigned, the following is a list of desired library assistant characteristics:
- Able to work independently
- Attention to detail
- Follows directions
- Good communication skills
- Good handwriting (cataloging assistants)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Neat and clean appearance
- Positive attitude
- Willingness to learn and produce good work
Mary Livermore Library
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
PO Box 1510
Pembroke, NC 28372-1510
As part of its mission, the Mary Livermore Library provides in its collection informational resources relevant to the University curriculum, as well as current recreational reading and resources for students, faculty, and staff. New books include recent acquisitions and are shelved according to an item's location and call number. The Current Reading and Media collections include best sellers, as well as audio and video recordings, and is located on the first floor near the Reference area. To view any items alphabetically by title, by author, or by call number, click on the appropriate button at the top of the column listing.
New Books - The Library purchases materials for the collection according to curricular needs first, with the goal ever foremost of developing a balanced collection that supports the undergraduate and graduate programs offered by UNCP.
- Best Sellers - The Library purchases many of the books that are listed on The New York Times Best Sellers list. Best sellers may be checked out for one week and renewed as long as no hold is placed on the item. Only one best seller may be borrowed at a time.
- New Movies
- Movies added in the previous month.
Please use this form to request that Library staff search for an item. This will allow for the most efficient and accurate search possible.
UNCP students, faculty, and staff may borrow materials by visiting the other 15 UNC libraries, with either a current UNCP BravesOne Card or a valid NC photo identification. A Mary Livermore Library account must be obtained before library privileges are extended at the lending library.
Loan periods, renewal permissions, and fines for items borrowed are determined by the lending institution.