Access Services/Reference Librarian
Mary Livermore Library
The University of North Carolina at Pembroke
- Supervise all operational aspects of Circulation services and participate in such services as needed.
- Coordinate and participate in staff scheduling, supervision, and work performance evaluations of staff members assigned to Access Services.
- Coordinate the work assignments for all library student workers.
- Oversee the maintenance of shelf order on all circulating collections.
- Ensure the accuracy of automated and manual Circulation procedures and remain current regarding such procedures.
- Participate in and coordinate Interlibrary Loan transactions, including developing cooperative agreements with other institutions.
- Oversee the creation of lists reporting overdue Interlibrary Loan items and the status of lost and paid, billed, and on-search circulating items.
- Provide reference service as needed and according to established schedules for the Reference desk; evening/weekend rotations are included.
- Prepare and deliver presentations concerning the location and usage of library resources as needed.
- Serve as a library faculty liaison to assigned academic departments.
- Participate in the collection weeding process by assuming responsibility for the assigned areas.
- Serve on library and University committees.
- Participate in community and University service in accordance with University performance appraisal guidelines.
- Remain current with developments in librarianship by participating in professional organizations and staff development opportunities; by engaging in research, writing, and publication; and by keeping abreast in professional reading.
Davis Memorial Library
August 2003-April 2004
- Provided 20+ hours of reference a week, including evening rotation and weekends.
- Served as liaison to the education department.
- Served on the Teacher’s Education Committee.
- Assisted patrons in the use of print and electronic resources.
- Provided instruction in information literacy for freshmen, education, English, business, social work, and criminal justice classes.
- Provided group orientation and research consultation for various disciplines.
- Used active learning ideas gleaned from the professional literature.
- Maintained the Teaching Materials Collection in support of the Teacher Education Program.
- Implemented the use of DOCLINE for medically related interlibrary loans in support of the Physician’s Assistant Program.
- Supported collection development in reference and circulating collections.
- Prepared and updated print and web-based research guides for various academic disciplines to support classroom demonstrations, self-instruction, and other tutorials.
- Oversaw the document delivery department.
- Monitor and troubleshoot electronic resources.
Access Services Librarian
August 2000-April 2003
Mary B. Blount Library
May 2003-July 2003
- Planned, organized and maintained circulation, interlibrary loan, and course reserve services.
- Provided interlibrary loan service using OCLC’s Passport software and ILL Web Interface; supported by Ariel Document Delivery.
- Supervised 2 part-time circulation staff persons and 10-20 federal work study students.
- Supervised the assigning of student workers to various areas of the library and the training of student workers in library functions.
- Maintained patron records.
- Provided weekend and evening reference service as assigned.
- Provided instruction in information literacy for freshmen, education, and English classes.
- Served as assistant to the University Archivist.
- Created library exhibits.
- Assisted patrons in the use of print and electronic sources.