These are the commonly asked questions that the Help Desk has recently received.
- The dialogue boxes in Blackboard are missing.
- An "incomplete" message appeared when I clicked "Submit" at the end of the exam.
- While working on an assignment at home, I was disconnected and could not submit my work.
- I have problems taking tests in Blackboard. The exam link does not work, or I cannot submit exams.
Some people are experiencing a problem seeing the text boxes when using BlackBoard in Internet Explorer 7.
Install that Active X control (recommended): When you try to access the discussion board, you will see a message directly below the tool bars asking if you wish to have an Active X control installed. Click yes. After installing the Active X control, dialogue boxes should become visible.
If you cannot install the Active X control, change the Blackboard setting:Go to the menu option, Personal Information on the “My BlackBoard” page. Select “Set Visual Text Box Editor Options.” Make the Visual Text Box Editor unavailable.
NOTE: Changing the Blackboard setting will allow the text box to be visible but will limit your formatting options. That is why installing the Active X control is preferable.
For a short video clip on how to do this, Click here: www.uncp.edu/ced/FRS1000/textboxfix/textboxfix.html
2. An "incomplete" message appeared when I clicked "Submit" at the end of the exam. I had to click "OK" to submit the exam.
After this happens, the instructor will need to manually resubmit the exam from the Gradebook to correct the problem.
This problem occurs when students click "Save" next to each question during exams. Please do not click "Save" all the time. After answering several questions, click "SAVE" at the bottom of the page to save the questions.
3. While working on an assignment at home, I was disconnected and could not submit my work.
The internet connection from off-campus may be disconnected after a period of inactivity. When this happens, students may not be able to submit the exam or the answers are not recorded.
To prevent this problem, click "Save" at the bottom of the page periodically. This will save the answers and keep students from being disconnected. Once starting an exam, students should not leave the computer before completing the exam.
4. I have problems taking tests in Blackboard. The exam link does not work, or I cannot submit exams.
Disable pop-up blockers when using Blackboard for taking exams, and choose the options to "Always allow pop-ups from this site" before taking an exam in Blackboard.
Pop-up blocker software is bundled with many programs including Windows
XP Service Pak 2, Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar, and Norton Internet
Security. Students should disable their pop-blockers when using
Blackboard for taking exams or using the collaboration tools.
Also, problems are more likely to occur when the instructor selects the option to launch their Blackboard tests in an External Window. Instructors should NOT select the option to "Launch test in external window" when selecting their test options.