Financial Hardships | Safe@UNCP


The SEAF assists UNCP students by providing financial support when they need assistance with unexpected emergency expenses surrounding situations such as accidents, illness, death of an immediate family member, fire damage, need for temporary housing or other disasters.

Students may apply for funds when they have exhausted all other resources. This funding is not intended to replace or supplement existing financial aid and does not have to be repaid. Fund awards generally do not exceed $500. 

Donations and grants are the sole source of funding for the Student Emergency Assistance Fund. We appreciate the generosity of the donors who make this fund possible. 


UNC Pembroke was awarded $3,137,355 million designated for direct, student emergency assistance. This funding is available to assist students with COVID-related expenses such as balances, technology needs, food insecurity, housing needs, course materials, transportation, medical needs, childcare expenses, and mental health resources. 

The CRRSAA requires that institutions prioritize students with exceptional needs, such as students who receive Pell Grants, in awarding emergency assistance funding to students. UNC Pembroke awarded all current students who have a valid FAFSA on file and are Pell recipients or Pell-eligible. These awards were processed without any action needed by the student. If you were not one of these students, you could still receive assistance if you are a current student at UNC Pembroke and have a COVID-related need.

To receive funding, eligible students MUST submit an application indicating they have a need. This application is available online when logging into your BraveWeb account.  Click on Online Forms Home and the application is the first link—Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021. 

Please keep in mind that students must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine eligibility to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. Students must meet these conditions for consideration for assistance under the CRRSAA.

For questions related to student aid from the CARES Act Emergency Relief Aid, please contact the UNCP Office of Financial Aid at 910.521.6255 or

Visit BraveWeb to apply Learn more about the CARES Act Fund


Mental Health Student grants are awarded to students for off-campus mental health care that they cannot afford.  The limit is $1,000 per academic year. The parameters for applying for this funding is as follows:

  • Must be enrolled as a student during the semester support is sought
  • Referral sources must be licensed/certified in North Carolina or the state in which the services are rendered
  • A quote for services or itemized receipts needs to be provided
  • The request must be for assistance in paying for specialized/holistic mental health care
  • If you are under 18, parental consent is required