Travel Rate Table: Transportation, Lodging, Meals

Controller's Office Policy CO 02 92a

Transportation Rates:

A. Motor Pool mileage rates for compact sedans, midsize station wagons, mini vans, maxi vans, etc. may be verified by calling UNCP Motor Pool at extension 6167.

B. Private Vehicle

Expenses for travel on official business by employees of the University are reimbursed at the following rates as set forth by legislation: Effective Jan. 1, 2019, the allowable business standard mileage rate is .58 cents.  For trips that began before Jan. 1, 2019, the rate is 54.5 cents.

University travelers are obligated to use a State vehicle or the University’s contract with Enterprise when the round trip exceeds 100 miles.

State Mileage Allowance Chart for Personal Vehicle Mileage Reimbursement
In the event the employee does not use a State vehicle or an Enterprise vehicle, the following rates apply for trips on or after Jan. 1, 2017: 

For State Vehicle information, see the Travel Regulations Mandates by OSB&M Policy.

Lodging and Meal Rates:    
Effective July 1, 2019    

In State 

Out of State


$ 75.10

$ 88.70











$ 39.40

$ 42.10

Total per diem for food and lodging


$ 130.80


*The payment of sales tax, lodging tax, local tax, or service fees applied to the cost of lodging is allowed in addition to the lodging rate.

*The employee may exceed the part of the ceiling allocated for lodging without approval for over expenditure provided that the total lodging and food reimbursement that the employee is entitled to for that day does not exceed the maximum allowed daily subsistence.

*Lodging must be substantiated by a receipt from a commercial lodging establishment. To be reimbursed a greater daily lodging rate than the per diem listed above, the rate must be requested as a Special Travel Designation (Excess Subsistence) on the Travel Request/Authorization form and have prior approval from the Chancellor's designee (Department Head).

**Meal rates are inclusive of gratuities and are reimbursable based upon the times/dates of departure from Duty Station (UNCP) and return to Duty Station.

Student Academic Travel Reimbursement information can be found on the Academic Affairs website at