PEMBROKE, N.C. – Seven contestants will compete for the title of Miss UNC Pembroke on Thursday, February 2, at 7 p.m. in the Givens Performing Arts Center.
The 2017 Miss UNC Pembroke will receive a $2,000 scholarship, free student housing and a meal plan for one year. First runner-up receives a $750 scholarship, and second runner-up, $500 scholarship. Non-finalists will receive $100 scholarships.
This year the audience has an opportunity to select a Community Choice winner. Support your favorite contestant and the UNCP CARE Resource Center by donating non-perishable items, i.e., canned meats, peanut butter, cereal, breakfast bars, etc. and hygiene items, i.e., toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, soap, etc.
Donation collection bins for each contestant will be setup in the lobby of the Givens Performing Art Center. The contestant with the most votes (one vote per item) will receive a $250 book scholarship.
The public is welcome. Tickets are $5.
The contestants are:
- Jasmine Davis is a junior majoring in theatre from High Point, N.C. Her talent is singing and her platform is Sexual Violence.
- Mia Baxley is a junior majoring in political science from Maxton, N.C. For talent she will be dancing. Her platform is Mental Health Awareness: End the Stigma!
- Shania McMillian is a junior majoring in psychology and mass communication from Shannon, N.C. She will be singing and her platform is Working for a CAUS: College Accessibility for Underserved Students.
- Rebecca Wey is a junior majoring in theatre and mass communication from Charlotte, N.C. Her talent is Spoken Word and her platform is Minority Presence within Media and Theatre.
- Kiara Atkinson is a sophomore majoring in criminal justice from Lumberton, N.C. She will sing and her platform is Becoming Brave: Mentoring and Outreach.
- Rebecca Hayes is a junior majoring in biology from Fairmont, N.C. For talent she will be performing a praise dance. Her platform is C.A.R.E: Cancer Awareness and Research for Everyone.
- DeAndrea Crockwell is a junior majoring in social work from Hope Mills, N.C. She will perform a lyrical dance and her platform is Be an OUTLET: Promoting Physical and Mental Health Through Fitness and Dialogue.
Emcee for the evening is Michelle Braxton. The executive director of the pageant is Cynthia Oxendine; director/choreographer is Zavery McDougald; and business manager is Teresa Bryant.
For more information, please call 910.521.6175 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.