UNC Pembroke will celebrate its 65th Homecoming October 7-12. The week-long tribute provides an opportunity for students, faculty, staff, alumni and community to gather and celebrate BraveNation, and is one of the longest-standing traditions at the university.
The 2019 theme is “PSU Throwback,” paying homage to the university’s historic transformation from the Croatan Normal School to Pembroke State University, and now The University of North Carolina at Pembroke. Current students wanted to bring back the old to the new with this year's theme.
“We are excited to welcome alumni, current students and friends of our university to campus for Homecoming 2019. There are amazing things happening every day on campus, and this is a great opportunity for the extended BraveNation family to see first-hand how UNCP is making an impact,” stated Abdul Ghaffar, director of Campus Engagement and Leadership.
“Students have been at the forefront of the planning and the excitement has been great. Their energy has shown throughout the process. Our staff is happy to help them complete the student vision for Homecoming” Ghaffar added.
Iconic Homecoming events such as the homecoming parade, bonfire, football game and Step Show are among a large line-up of happenings for the week.
Major events include:
· Monday, October 7, Hypnotist Jim Wand, 8 p.m. GPAC
· Tuesday, October 8, UNCP Trivia Gameshow, 8 p.m., UC Annex
· Wednesday, October 9, Spirit Fest, 6 p.m., UC Lawn
· Thursday, October 10, Homecoming Parade, 4 p.m.
· Thursday, October 10, Bonfire, immediately following parade, English Jones Center parking lot
· Thursday, October 10, Homecoming Semi-formal dance, 10 p.m., UC Annex
· Friday October 11, Queen Nation, 8 p.m., GPAC
· Friday October 11, Step Show, 9 p.m., Lumbee Guaranty Bank Court in English Jones Center
· Saturday, October 12, Football Game vs. Mars Hill Lions, 4 p.m., Grace P. Johnson Stadium
· Saturday, October 12, Comedy Show featuring Desi Banks & Ryan Davis, 8 p.m. GPAC
The full Homecoming schedule and additional ticket details can be found at uncp.edu/homecoming.
"Each year Homecoming allows our university community to come together, and connect generations of UNCP alumni and families. This tradition of celebrating the institution and showcasing our black and gold pride is a highlight of the year on campus, and we cannot wait to see everyone next week," continued Ghaffar.
Homecoming is sponsored by UNC Pembroke’s Alumni Association, Student Government Association, Pembroke Activities Council, and the Office of Campus Engagement and Leadership.