The Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity and the Trans Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance Planning Committee at UNC Pembroke recently announced events for Transgender Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance.
Transgender Awareness Week, typically observed during the week of Nov. 13-19, raises awareness and visibility of the transgender community through advocacy and education, and leads up to Transgender Day of Remembrance, which honors and memorializes victims of anti-transgender violence each Nov. 20.
Programming will be available virtually or in person, depending on event. To participate in the events, visit uncp.edu/BraveConnect for Webex links and additional information.
Events held during Trans Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance include:
- Saturday, Nov. 13: Trans Storytelling and Open Mic, 6 p.m.
- Monday, Nov. 15: Self-care Day, 2-3 p.m.; Clothing Exchange Begins (all week within CARE Resource Center hours)
- Tuesday, Nov. 16: Professional Development: To Be Well and Trans: Facilitating Wellness in Trans Communities, 4-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 17: Safe Zone Training for Faculty & Staff, 3-5 p.m.; Movie Night: Disclosure, 6 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 18: Guided Meditation, 2 p.m.; Trans 101 Education and Advocacy Training, 4 p.m.
- Friday, Nov. 19: Student Forum, 4 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 20: Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil, 6 p.m.
The week's activities are sponsored by the Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity, the Trans Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance Committee, Chi Sigma Iota, Counseling and Psychological Services, the Office of Campus Engagement and Leadership, the UNCP CARE Resource Center and the UNCP Costume Shop.
For more information about Trans Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance and other diversity awareness programming at UNCP, please contact Dr. Whitney Akers at 910.775.4293 or firstname.lastname@example.org.