Students and faculty returning to campus this fall will find a building boom underway at The University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
O.R. Sampson Academic Building goes up north of Dial
Five new buildings totaling more than $33 million are under construction. The busiest summer in UNCP construction history will continue into the fall.
“During the summer, four major projects were completed, and four new buildings got under way,” said Bess Tyner, director of Facilities Planning and Construction at UNCP. “These projects will have an impact on the campus during the coming academic year, and once completed will enhance the overall learning and living experience at UNCP.”
A major classroom building, bookstore, residence hall, field house and a major addition to the student center are underway. The latest surge in construction activity is part of a longer-term building boom fueled by an enrollment that has nearly doubled since Chancellor Allen C. Meadors’ arrival in 1999.
- O.R. Sampson Academic Building: cost - $7 million; complete - spring ’07; purpose - departments of Social Work and Sociology, Philosophy and Religion, and Psychology
- Bookstore: $4.2 million; complete - November ’06; Campus Police, Bookstore, convenience and coffee shops
- U.C. Annex: $5 million; start date - June; complete - summer ’07; purpose - a two-story student services building that will provide a large multipurpose room on the first floor and office space for Student Housing and Student Government; financing - student fees
- Oak Residence Hall: $10.8 million; start date - June; complete - summer ’07; 360 beds; self-financed
- Field House: $4.5 million; start date - June; complete - April ’07; financing – UNCP Foundation Inc.; purpose - locker-rooms, training, coaching offices, meeting rooms and bathrooms for the football stadium
More construction is planned for the future with three projects on the drawing board and another residence hall and allied health building somewhat further down the road.
- Biotechnology Center: $1.8 million; purpose – research and training; location - Regional Center; start date – not available.
- D.F. Lowry Building renovations: $1.9 million; purpose - renovate space to add classrooms, offices and restaurant; follows Bookstore completion;
- Business Administration Building renovations: $600,000; next summer
UNCP’s Office of Facilities Planning and Construction may be contacted at 910.521.6280.