Livermore Library (1967, 1997) is named after Mary H. Livermore, a religion professor. The library houses approximately 392,000 volumes, 50,000 periodical titles (print and electronic), Special Collections (university archives), and a depository for U.S. government documents as well as extensive electronic resources.
Mary H. Livermore
Mary Hoyland Livermore was born in 1883 at Pates, near the original site of the campus. She served on the faculty from 1941-51 and served as the first professor of the Religious Education Department.
The library wing of Sampson Hall, at the time the administration building, was dedicated to Livermore in 1963 during the University’s Diamond Jubilee Anniversary celebration. When a new library building was constructed in 1967, it was dedicated in her memory. She passed away in 1965.