Music Department Covid Protocols for Spring 2022
*Updated March 2, 2022
In addition to university guidelines, the Music Department employs the following protocols for Spring 2022:
- The use of masks is encouraged but not required. While indoors, vocalists are encouraged to sing in masks and wind instrumentalists are encouraged to use bell covers.
- There will be a room vacancy requirement of 15 minutes after any class or activity that involves singing or wind-playing.
- Aerosol-producing classes and activities that meet in the band room, choir room, MHA, or UC Annex may meet for up to 75 minutes before a 15-minute intermission is required. Intermissions are not required by the Music Department for events in GPAC.
- Office hours and advising may be conducted online at the discretion of the professor.
- Practice Room facilities are available through reservation and will remain locked, except for two practice rooms designated as always unlocked. The two unlocked practice rooms will use a sign-in/out sheet so students can monitor the 15-minute room vacancy requirement. These will be available on a first-come first-served basis.
- Students may rehearse with accompanists in their studios with permission of the accompanist. Otherwise, we will do our best to arrange rehearsal times in large rooms.
- Vocalists and wind instrumentalists will employ 6-ft minimum distancing indoors.
- Indoor activities that do not involve wind instrument or voice will employ 3-ft minimum distancing indoors when possible.
RECITALS & PERFORMANCES
- All recitals shall be allowed (departmental, senior, junior, faculty, guest artist)
- Performances involving singing or wind-playing may not exceed 75 minutes, with the exception of dress rehearsals and performances for Musical Theatre.
- Private lessons for wind instruments and voice may meet for up to 50 minutes in one session per instructor prerogative.
- Wind and voice lessons may meet in teaching studios per instructor prerogative (supplemental filtration required).
- Accompanists may participate in private lessons in teaching studios at their discretion.
- Non-Music majors may take lessons in the format preferred by the instructor.
- Ensembles with wind or voice may meet for up to 75 minutes per session. An intermission of 15-minutes will reset this clock.
- Music Majors may participate in a maximum of three indoor ensembles. Non-Music majors may participate in a maximum of two indoor ensembles. The Music Faculty will adjudicate requested variances on a case-by-case basis.
BAND ROOM, CHOIR ROOM, AND MHA CAPACITY
- There are no longer room capacity requirements for these venues, however, all other protocols shall be observed (e.g. distancing requirements for singers and wind instrumentalists)
SENIOR RECITAL AND GUEST ARTIST PERFORMANCE MASKING POLICY
- Collaborative pianists and other accompanying musicians must agree to perform with mask-less recitalists and shall not be compelled to do so.
- All other existing protocols shall be observed.
JURIES AND EVALUATION FORMS
- Juries and Evaluation Forums will be conducted face-to-face. Vocalists and wind instrumentalists are encouraged to use masks and bell covers, but are not required to do so.
- Prospective students may audition in-person or via teleconference based on their preference.