Music Department Covid Protocols for Fall 2021
In addition to university guidelines, the Music Department employs the following protocols for Fall 2021:
- Masks are worn indoors at all times. Vocalists will use vocal masks. Instrumentalists will use playing masks designed for their instrument. Both vocal and instrumental masks will be provided by the department.
- Brass players will use bell covers indoors (including horn players). Bell covers will be provided. Lessons, ensembles, and classes involving singing or wind-playing may meet for a maximum of 50 minutes per session before room vacancy requirement.
- Classes that do NOT involve singing or wind playing may meet for the same duration as classes throughout the a of the university.
- Music Majors Meetings will occur online.
- Office hours and advising may be conducted online at the discretion of the professor.
- Practice Room facilities are available through reservation only and will remain locked.
- Any online portion of private lessons may be conducted unmasked (assuming there are no others in the room)
- Studio Classes and Studio Ensembles may meet in person and shall observe all other ensemble protocols.
RECITALS & PERFORMANCES
- All recitals shall be allowed (departmental, senior, junior, faculty, guest artist)
- The total number of people allowed for an indoor recital in the band or choir room will be limited to 30 (including musicians, instructors, stage crew).
- The total number of people allowed for an indoor recital in the MHA will be limited to 50 (including musicians, instructors, stage crew).
- Performances involving singing or wind-playing may not exceed 50 minutes, with the exception of dress rehearsals and performances for Musical Theatre.
ROOM VACANCY REQUIREMENTS
- There will be a 15-minute vacant period in all Music Facilities (classrooms, rehearsal spaces, teaching studios, and practice rooms) after singing or wind instrument playing (supplemental filtration required).
- There will be a 15-minute vacant period in rooms after classes that do NOT involve singing or wind playing. In this case, supplemental filtration is not required.
- Wind instruments and voice will employ 6-ft minimum distancing indoors.
- Indoor activities that do not involve wind instrument or voice will employ 3-ft minimum distancing indoors when possible.
- Outdoor ensembles that employ 3-ft minimum distancing between wind/voice performers may be unmasked and need not use bell covers (brass).
- Private lessons for wind instruments and voice may meet for up to 50 minutes in one session per instructor prerogative.
- Wind and voice lessons may meet in teaching studios per instructor prerogative (supplemental filtration required).
- Accompanists may participate in private lessons in teaching studios at their discretion.
- Music Majors who have completed their lesson and senior recital requirements (as applicable) will be allowed to take lessons with instructor permission.
- Students may rehearse in-person with accompanists only in large rooms (band, choir, MHA, 101, 201, 202), schedule permitting.
- Private lessons that are able to switch from one approved room to another after 30 minutes may continue for another 30 minutes, such that room vacancy requirements are observed.
- Non-Music majors may take lessons in the format preferred by the instructor.
- Ensembles with wind or voice may meet for up to 50 minutes per session. Ensembles that are able to switch from one approved room to another may continue for another 50 minutes, such that room vacancy requirements are observed.
- Music Majors may participate in a maximum of three indoor ensembles.
- Non-Music majors may participate in a maximum of two indoor ensembles.
- Ensembles involving wind instruments or voice may delay the start of rehearsals for up to two weeks after the beginning of the term per the prerogative of the professor.