Athletic Training FAQs

Q: What is the difference between an athletic trainer and a personal trainer?


A: An athletic trainer is a healthcare provider who has passed the Board of Certification (BOC) exam and is licensed in the state in which they are practicing. A personal trainer is a person who prescribes, monitors and changes an individual's exercise program in a fitness or sports setting.


Q: Do ATs only work at high schools and colleges/universities?


A: No, athletic trainers work in many different settings. ATs work in physician offices as physician extenders, sports medicine and cardiac rehab clinics, fitness centers, with youth sports organizations, in occupational health departments, with police and fire departments, for governmental agencies and branches of the military.


Q: Why would someone hire an AT?


A: ATs improve patient functional and physical outcomes and they specialize in patient education to prevent injury and re-injury, which reduces rehabilitative and otehr health care costs. Studies have shown that hiring ATs saves money for employers and improves the quality of life for patients.


Q: How do I become an AT?


A: First you must graduate from a CAATE accredited Athletic Training Education Program. Then you must pass the BOC exam. Once you have passed the BOC, you will need to apply for licensure in whichever state in which you chose to work.




Return to Athletic Training