Do You Need a Passport?
Applying for a passport should be one of your first priorities after you decide to study abroad.
WHERE CAN I GET A PASSPORT?
- The UNCP Mail Center processes applications for U.S. passports! This is open to all UNCP students, staff, and faculty as well as members of the surrounding community.
- If you need your passport photo taken, you can have it taken at the Braves Card Office.
- Applications for a first-time passport may take only four to six weeks, but during busy times you should allow eight to ten weeks.
If you are really short on time, you may request express processing of your passport application for an extra cost plus overnight delivery costs. Processing a passport with this service usually takes about two weeks, but to request this service, you must show proof (such as an airline ticket) that you will be leaving the country in less than three weeks.
HOW MUCH DOES A PASSPORT COST?
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET A PASSPORT?
Visit the following website for detailed instructions:
Do You Need a Visa?
- A visa is an official document (endorsement or stamp) issued by the government of the host country that allows the bearer to visit that country. It is your responsibility to verify the visa requirements for your host country and obtain your student visa.
- Visa regulations vary widely, and processing may take from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the country. Check with the embassy of your host country as soon as possible to confirm their visa requirements.
- Some embassies will accept (or require) visa applications to be submitted in person; others will accept (or require) applications to be submitted by mail. It is important that you begin the visa application process immediately to ensure that you receive your visa in time.
- To find out whether or not you will need one for your study abroad adventure, search HERE.
Reminder: If you plan to visit other countries while abroad you should ensure you have the proper documentation to enter those countries too, including a visa if necessary, and also to reenter your host country. Visit embassy websites to find out which documentation you will need.