Studying abroad will be one of the most memorable and
life-changing moments of your academic career!
So, how do you get started?
Begin your journey by following the links for these frequently asked questions:
Why Should I Study Abroad?
See and experience new locations around the world
Improve your intercultural understanding and develop your appreciation for people from other countries, cultures, and traditions. Enjoy the sites and natural wonders of places you have always wished to see.
Expand your worldview by gaining a global perspective
Study abroad experiences have a long-term impact on the worldview of those who participate; when you study abroad you will learn to respect and appreciate cultural differences and beliefs.
Diversify your educational experience
Study abroad will give you the opportunity to learn in different environments, to experience your lessons in new ways, and to gain first-hand experience of the places you would normally see only in pictures. Go beyond the campus and learn through a variety of unique academic experiences.
Prepare yourself for the future by increasing your self-confidence and maturity. Learn to survive and thrive when faced with uncertainty and unexpected challenges.
Improve your chances for a great job after graduation
Your study abroad experience will a great addition to your resume. Employers value international experience and the skills you will learn while studying abroad.
Where Can I Go?
Students at UNCP can study abroad
- In multiple countries
- On 6 continents
- For as little a week and as long as a year
The opportunities are ready to be explored! Discover the possibilities here!
- How Long is a Study Abroad Program?
What are the Requirements to Study Abroad?
Students planning to study abroad must:
- Be in good academic standing
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.50
- Be enrolled at least part-time
- Complete at least 30 hours before going on a semester or year-long program
Find out more here.
*Students studying abroad for a semester or a year and students who have transferred to UNCP must meet additional requirements.
Do I Have to Speak a Language Other Than English?
All of UNCP's exchange partners offer classes in English. However, sometimes course selection is limited; so it is important to learn about the course offerings at the school you are considering. See our list of exchange partners for more information.
How Do I Apply?
- Begin by making some general decisions about your study abroad experience. For instance, where do you want to go and when?
- Gather the information you need by exploring the study abroad website and making an appointment to speak with the Study Abroad Coordinator.
- Fill out an application and pay the application fee.
- Get a passport.
- Pay the application fee.
Follow this link for more information about the application process.
How Much Will It Cost?
The cost of your study abroad experience is based on several factors including:
- The program you choose
- The length of your program
- The country where you will be studying
- The cost of transportation
- The additional activities you have planned
More information can be found here.
Can I Use My Financial Aid?
Financial aid can be used to help with your study abroad expenses. Make an appointment with Julie Leach in the Financial Aid Office to discuss your options.
Additional Information about using financial aid for study abroad can be found here.