International Transfer Students

Are you an International Student who is Eligible to Transfer to UNCP?

International students in the U.S. who are already in F-1 or J-1 status may transfer their SEVIS record to UNCP after they are offered admission and demonstrate their financial support.


The Transfer Process

The student's SEVIS record will be transferred after an international student has been accepted by the university's office of admissions, communicated with the UNCP International Programs office, and provided all necessary documentation.

Immigration advisers at the previous school should not transfer a SEVIS record until International Programs has completely cleared the student for transfer.


Student Responsibilities

The student must complete their UNCP application and be accepted by the admissions office.

Students must select a date for the SEVIS record transfer. This is often shortly after the end of the previous term, but may also be just before classes begin at UNCP. (If you are on OPT, remember that any remaining OPT is cancelled once the student transfers to the new school.)

Inform UNCP's office of International Programs if you will be leaving the U.S. after completing your final term at your previous school and re-entering on the UNCP I-20.

Inform UNCP's Office of International Programs if you are out of status and need to apply for reinstatement.

Complete the Certificate of Financial Responsibility and send it to the admissions office.

Provide the UNCP Transfer-In Form to the immigration adviser at your previous school.

Check in with UNCP International Programs and attend international student orientation


The Previous School's Responsibilities

The immigration adviser at your previous school is asked to complete the UNCP Transfer-In Form.

They may email, mail, or fax it to UNCP International Programs and indicate when the SEVIS record will be transferred to UNCP.


UNCP International Programs' Responsibilities 

Confirm that the student is admissible to UNCP

Register the student's SEVIS record once they have transferred in.


NOTE: Students who are in another non-immigrant status and wish to change to an F-1 status will not do a transfer. Please let us know if this applies to you and we will advise you accordingly.