How much does it cost to study abroad?
The cost of your study abroad experience is based on several factors including:
- The program you choose
- The length of your program
- The country where you will be studying
- The cost of transportation
- The additional activities you have planned
STUDY ABROAD FOR A SEMESTER OR A YEAR
The great thing about studying abroad is that it can often be done very affordably.
- Students who go abroad through an exchange program will pay their usual tuition and fees at UNCP. This will allow you to easily use your financial aid and will keep your academic costs in line with what you are used to paying.
- Most students will pay for their room and their meals at the host university, and you can often find out information about these costs on the websites for the school you will be attending. However, students who study through the ISEP consortium will pay for their room and their meals at UNCP, just like they pay their tuition and fees. ISEP does have a small fee associated with their program, which you can learn more about HERE.
- Other costs include travel to and from the host university, local transportation, your books and materials, the cost of your passport and visa, site-seeing costs, and other personal expenses.
- All students who study abroad with UNCP are required to purchase GeoBlue insurance for the time they are abroad. Click HERE for more information.
- Financial aid and scholarships are available. (Click the links on the right from the menu to learn more.)
If you are interested in studying abroad through an exchange program, please visit our list of exchange options to get more specific cost estimates.
FACULTY-LED STUDY ABROAD
UNCP faculty do their best to make sure that our faculty-led programs are affordable for our students. The cost of a faculty-led program can be dependent on the places where you will be staying, the activities that are planned, the cost of living in the program location, and the seasonal cost of travel, in addition to other factors.
Keep the following costs in mind as you budget for a faculty-led program:
- The cost of the program, which you can find on our program information pages, normally includes travel, lodging, activity fees, and 1 or 2 meals per day.
- Every faculty-led program is associated with a class at UNCP. Students should remember that class tuition is paid separately from the program costs.
- Additional costs not included in the program: these can include your meals, activities during your free time, the cost of souvenirs, assigned books, etc.
- Travel Insurance ($25 per student). This is often included in the program cost.
If you are interested in a short-term faculty-led program, please visit our list of available programs to get more specific cost estimates.