The following information is for students who will be studying abroad for a semester or a year. If you are interested in a Faculty-led program, please discuss this opportunity with your academic adviser and the faculty-lead for the trip.
You have been accepted to study abroad, now what?
APPLY TO THE HOST UNIVERSITY:
- Students may begin their application to the desired study abroad program. Please remember additional application fees may apply.
- Students are not guaranteed acceptance. It is up to the host University to accept a student based on the student's individual application.
- The student is responsible for selecting courses at the host university and providing UNCP with the course descriptions.
- The SA Coordinator (along with the appropriate Department Chair) will approve the selected courses.
- Your assigned academic adviser MUST also approve your course listings to ensure they will transfer back and count toward your degree program.
- Students must have the equivalency of a 'C' or higher in order to transfer the course back to UNCP.
- If a student is approved to study abroad in the final 30 hours of their program, they must confirm that their selected courses are offered with their host university.
- The course authorization form must be completed before you leave. Otherwise, OGE cannot guarantee that you will receive credit for the courses you take abroad, which can have serious consequences for your financial aid.
- It is a good idea for you to get twice as many courses authorized as you plan on taking since you may encounter issues registering for your courses at your host university.
- Once you are accepted by the host university, you must apply for the appropriate country Visa.
- Application for the visa is a self-petition. UNCP cannot apply for the visa on your behalf.
- At the end of your program, you will be responsible for having your host university transcript sent to the SA Coordinator for evaluation based on prior course approval.
- If the above pre-approved courses changed while studying abroad, it is the responsibility of the student to notify the SA Coordinator for further course options and approval at the time of course registration.
- If the student neglects to notify the SA Coordinator of course changes, does not receive a grade equivalence of 'C' or higher, or does not have his or her transcript sent in a timely manner, the student's financial aid may be affected in the future.
- Based on the student’s academic performance during study abroad, SA Coordinator in consultation with the Director of International Programs may deny future study abroad consideration (either short-term, semester, or full-year).
- The Chair of your Department
- The SA Coordinator
- Your adviser
It is very important that you complete all forms in an accurate and timely manner. Failure to do so could result in delays or, in extreme cases, removal from your exchange program.