International Education Week (IEW) is a yearly event co-sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education to celebrate international education and exchange, and to prepare students and future leaders to thrive in the global environment. This year the activities were held in the Spring 2023 semester, normally they are celebrated in the Fall of each year.
Monday, January 30 (International Resource Day)
- 10–11 a.m.: Join us for Global Minds to Local Hearts: International Volunteer Table in the mall of the Chavis Student Center. Hosted by the Office of Global Engagement (OGE) and Community & Civic Engagement.
- 2–3 p.m.: A virtual workshop titled “Visa Options for Students After Graduation” will be facilitated by Bridget Bishop, associate general counsel with the University of North Carolina System. Join via Zoom at https://uncp.zoom.us/j/96337233939.
Tuesday, January 31 (Celebration of Culture and Communities Day)
- 11 a.m.–2 p.m.: Sample the Lunar New Year menu in the dining hall in the Chavis Student Center. Foods will include char sui pork, steamed fish, lo mein noodles, stir fry bok choy, Chinese long beans, ginger garlic broccoli stir fry, tofu and broccoli stir fry, dim sum station, sticky rice dessert, and almond cookies.
- 12:30–2:30 p.m.: Participate in the Lunar New Year Festival in the UC Annex to celebrate the arrival of spring and the beginning of a new year on the lunisolar calendar. Numerous countries, including China, Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam and Japan, celebrate the Lunar New Year. Hosted by OGE and the Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity.
Wednesday, February 1 (Study Abroad Day)
- 10–11 a.m.: Stop by the Study Abroad table in the Chavis Student Center to learn more about the study abroad opportunities.
- 2–2:30 p.m.: Participate in a virtual session titled “How to Get a Passport.” Facilitated by OGE and Mail Services. Join via Zoom at https://uncp.zoom.us/j/94590285282.
- 3–4 p.m.: A virtual workshop titled “On-campus Employment for International Students” will be facilitated by OGE. Join via Zoom at https://uncp.zoom.us/skype/93256753592.
Thursday, February 2 (Taste of Cultures Day)
- 11 a.m.–2 p.m.: Join us for international cuisine and lunchtime karaoke in the dining hall in the Chavis Student Center.
Friday, February 3 (World Languages Day)
- Noon–2 p.m.: Participate in a crash course in Chinese calligraphy in Chavis Student Center, Room 251.
- Noon–2 p.m.: Get a button with your name translated into a world language in the mall of the Chavis Student Center.