Hurricane Florence Update

The UNC Pembroke campus is currently closed. Please watch this space for updates.


Latest news here

Special Education Concentration

Program Coordinator

 Dr. Gretchen Robinson

Associate Professor
 Department of Educational Specialties
 Office: Education Center, Room 317
 Phone: 910.521.6452


The UNCP Special Education professional concentration provides non-Special Education majors the opportunity to enhance their knowledge of students with mild to moderate disabilities.  This 18-hour concentration provides students with course work that addresses such topics as individualized education plans (IEPs); special education law; assistive technology; assessment and classroom management.   In this growing age of inclusive classroom and learning environments, this concentration helps to build a foundation for general educators who will teach students with mild to moderate disabilities within their individual classrooms.

Courses are typically offered during the evenings and are delivered in a hybrid or online format.   Listed below is information regarding when courses are offered.  Some courses do require that you have been admitted into the School of Education’s Teacher Education Program prior to taking the course.

Course Number and Name

When Course is offered^

SED 3110 Assistive Technology

Fall semester

SED 3340  Instructional Strategies for Students with Mild to Moderate Disabilities

Fall semester

SED 3350  Assessment of Students with Mild to Moderate Disabilities +

Spring semester

SED 3320 Special Education Law, Policies and Procedures

Fall and Spring semesters

*SED 4310  Discipline and Classroom Management

Spring Semester

*SED 4320  Classroom Considerations and the IEP for Special Education Students

Fall semester

*= Teacher Education Admittance required

+= needs course PRIOR to taking the 4000 level courses

^= subjective to change based on enrollment

To declare the Special Education as your professional concentration you will need to complete the ‘declaration of major, minor and/or advisor form’ located on the Office of the Registrar’s website.