Meet UNCP GEAR UP Success Coach
Welcome BRAVE student! I am Shania McMillian, UNCP GEAR UP Success Coach. I take pride in being a 2018 UNCP Alumni and a First-Generation college student – which means we already have 2 things in common (UNCP & First-Gen)! My main goal as your coach is to serve as a support and a mentor towards your transitional efforts from high school to college. Not only do I want to assist you with achieving success in your academic goals, but also your personal goals. So please know that you are not alone, because through frequent one-on-one coaching meetings, together we will achieve your goals.
About GEAR UP NC
The federal goal of GEAR UP is to significantly increase the number of students in disadvantaged communities who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. GEAR UP has three program objectives:
- To increase the academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education of participating students;
- To increase the rate of high school graduation and participation in postsecondary education of participating students; and
- To increase educational expectations for participating students and increase student and family knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation, and financing.
GEAR UP NC partners with the College Foundation of North Carolina for statewide dissemination of college information. GEAR UP NC is included in the University of North Carolina System Higher Expectations Strategic Plan as a strategy for promoting and improving access to higher education in North Carolina.
GEAR UP North Carolina. UNC System. (2020, November 7). https://www.northcarolina.edu/impact/access/gear-up-north-carolina/.
Who Can Participate?
BRAVE student! If you are a first-year student who graduated from one of the partner GEAR UP high schools below, you qualify to participate in GEAR UP UNCP.
- Anson High School
- Albemarle High School
- Burns High School
- Central Montgomery High School
- Gates High School
- Greene High School
- Harnett Central High School
- Hoke High School
- Jones Senior High School
- Parkland High School
- Pasquotank High School
- Richmond Senior High School
- South View High School
- Washington High School
- West Craven High School
- Graham High School
- Hugh Cummings High School
- Walter Williams High School
- John A. Holmes High School
- Kinston High School
- North Lenoir High School
- South Lenoir High School
- Lenoir Early College High School
- McDowell High School
- Pamlico County High School
- Perquimans County High School
- Person County High School
- John M. Morehead High School
- Dalton L. McMichael High School
- Reidsville High School
- Scotland High School
- Scotland Early College High School
- Warren County High School
- Warren Early College High School
- Warren New Tech High School
GEAR UP UNCP - What Happens?
As you start your first semester of college at UNCP, I’m already aware of who you are, and I have your contact information. Below is a short, tentative timeline on what to expect from me as your coach.
- Outreach begins. Expect persistent introduction emails, SMS, and phone calls from me for the first 2 weeks.
- Once we become familiar with one another and I learn more about you as a student and what your goals are, we will schedule bi-monthly (2x a month) or more meetings.
- At this point, our conversations are picking up, and we are talking about your comfortability at UNCP.
- I’ll begin advertising our GEAR UP monthly workshops and programming to help achieve your goals.
- Our meetings should be more frequent now and we will begin talking about how you have been working towards your goals for the semester.
- Your involvement in the workshops, programming events, and resources on campus should be increasing.
- We will then begin wrapping up your goals and finalizing what you need to do for the last few weeks.
- We will begin discussing final exam preparations, and what the spring will look like for you.
- Wrap up the semester with a recap and evaluate your success as a student.
- Let’s solidify a game plan for the spring semester.
What happens during a one-on-one meeting with my coach?
This is a time for you and your coach to discuss your academic and personal goals, while also navigating and adjusting through challenges that may arise, discuss, and direct you to resources on campus, and make sure you are achieving a positive transition experience.
How frequent will I have to meet with my coach?
The number of meeting with your coach is dependent on you and your needs. Students have the availability of meeting with their coach as much as they like, although the coach will be reaching out to the GU students through various communication efforts throughout the academic year.
What other activities happen outside of one-on-one meetings?
Your coach will mention activities and events that are happening within the university during your meeting times. Also, monthly GU workshops will be implemented starting in the Fall semester.
How long will I have my GEAR UP Coach?
Your coach is assigned and available to you through your first academic year at UNCP.
How can I reach my coach?
Your coach will communicate with you via Bravemail, Phone call and SMS using the UCoach platform, and in some cases by office phone.