Welcome to The University North Carolina Pembroke Art Education Program
The Art Education program is committed to preparing art educators in public elementary, middle and secondary schools across the State of North Caroline and beyond, and leaders in visual arts education. Our curriculum is designed to provide students with coursework in art education theory and pedagogy, field experiences, and service learning. The Art Education Program is dedicated to offering students an array of studio classes that include drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, ceramics, and digital technologies, and art history courses.
Art Education Program Goals
- Develop an understanding of traditional and contemporary art education theories, including developmental and constructivist models of teaching and learning.
- Develop a wide range of knowledge of materials, techniques, processes, technologies. and approaches to making art and learn how to apply these in age appropriate ways in a variety of classroom settings.
- Understand contemporary and historical developments of art and how to engage students in looking at art in age appropriate ways.
- Demonstrate an awareness and sensitivity of the diverse needs and culture of students in today’s classrooms and plan and implement curricula in a pluralistic society.
- Integrate and utilize various technologies and digital tools in the arts classroom.
- Develop professional dispositions for candidates to be successful in a variety of professional situations.