The Office of Student Inclusion & Diversity and the Hispanic Heritage Committee at UNC Pembroke recently announced events for Hispanic Heritage Month.
Everyone is welcome!
Hispanic Heritage Month - celebrated annually September 15 through October 15 - highlights and raises awareness of the heritage, history and accomplishments of Hispanic and Latinè Americans. The celebration began as Hispanic Heritage Week in 1968 when legislation sponsored by U.S. Representative Edward Roybal was signed into law by President Lyndon Johnson. The week was expanded into a month in 1988 during the administration of President Ronald Reagan. September 15 was chosen as the start date because it commemorates the independence of several Latin American countries, including Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua on September 15, Mexico (September 16), and Chile (September 18).
Events to be held during Hispanic Heritage Month at UNC Pembroke include:
Thursday, September 15, 2022
- The Hispanic Heritage Lunch will be hosted by Sodexo in the Dining Hall in the Chavis Student Center from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Some of the items to be served include pork carnitas burrito, grilled Peruvian lime chicken, chicken machaca burrito, Peruvian beef and potato stew, Peruvian chicken, seafood and sausage paella, crisp carnitas-style tacos, and pinto beans.
Thursday, September 22, 2022
- Come visit the Hispanic Heritage Committee table in the lobby of the Chavis Student Center between 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. to hear traditional and contemporary Hispanic music and enjoy a sweet Hispanic treat.
- Join us for the Noche de Juegos (Game Night and Student Mixer) from 3 – 5 p.m. in the University Center Annex for a Hispanic snack and games.
September 26 – October 12
- An exhibit highlighting Hispanic Heritage Month will be on display at the west entrance (facing Jones Center) of the Chavis Student Center.
Wednesday, October 5, 2022
- An interest meeting for the new Latin Student Union will be held at 3 p.m. in Old Main Room 129 in the Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity. Come join us to learn more about the LSU.
Friday, October 7, 2022
- The Hispanic Heritage Fall Festival will be held in the University Center Annex from 12 – 2 p.m. Join us in front of the Dial Building at 12 p.m. to participate in our traditional parade from the Dial Building to the University Center Annex. Enter a raffle for the chance to win a free lunch ticket during the festival. Hispanic foods will also be served in the dining hall in the Chavis University Center from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. For additional information about the festival, please contact Dr. Ana Cecilia Lara at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, October 19, 2022
- Bring the family and join us in the auditorium of Thomas Hall for a showing of the Disney film Encanto. The event begins at 6 p.m. and admission is free. According to Disney, “Encanto tells the tale of an extraordinary family, the Madrigals, who live hidden in the mountains of Colombia, in a magical house, in a vibrant town, in a wondrous, charmed place called an Encanto. The magic of the Encanto has blessed every child in the family with a unique gift from super strength to the power to heal – every child except one, Mirabel. But when she discovers that the magic surrounding the Encanto is in danger, Mirabel decides that she, the only ordinary Madrigal, might just be her exceptional family’s last hope.”
Tuesday, November 1, 2022
- Come learn more about the holiday Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Originating in Mexico, the holiday is celebrated November 1-2 and honors deceased friends and family by visiting their graves with gifts. You are encouraged to bring a photo of a deceased loved one and an object representing or belonging to the person - both to be placed on the ofrenda (traditional altar) in the Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity. Join us from 3-5 p.m. in Old Main Room 124 in the Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity.
- Learn more about Día de los Muertos.
Monday, November 14, 2022
- A Hispanic Student Graduation will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the University Center Annex. Graduates must RSVP to participate.
For more information about Hispanic Heritage Month and other diversity awareness programming at UNC Pembroke, please visit BraveConnect or contact the Office of Student Inclusion & Diversity at 910.521.6508 or email@example.com.