The Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity (OSID) and the Trans Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance Planning Committee at UNC Pembroke recently announced events for Transgender Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance.
Transgender Awareness Week, typically observed the week of November 13-19, raises awareness of the transgender community through advocacy and education and leads up to Transgender Day of Remembrance, which honors and memorializes victims of anti-transgender violence each November 20.
Programming will be available virtually or in person, depending on event. To participate in the events, please visit BraveConnect for WebEx links and additional information.
Events held during Trans Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance include:
Saturday, November 13
Trans Storytelling and Open Mic, 6 p.m.
- Join us for a night of creative expression about the joys and trials of identifying anywhere on the gender spectrum. Members of our community are invited to share stores in a virtual, supportive and liberating environment. Through storytelling, poems, performance, etc., we hope to create a space that radically affirms trans and nonbinary individuals to live their truth, authentically and powerfully. Whether you identify as trans and have a story to tell, or if you would like to come and participate in uplifting voices of trans communities, we invite you to join us for this night of creative expression and engagement. A raffle will be held for a free gift at the end of the event. The event will be held via WebEx at https://uncp.webex.com/meet/whitney.akers.
Monday, November 15
Self-care Day, 2-3 p.m.
- Join us to learn powerful coping skills. We will explore some breathing techniques, experience a guided body scan and the technique of progressive muscle relaxation. We will also have a discussion space focused on self-care. A raffle will be held for a free gift at the end of the event. The event will be held in Old Main, Room 124.
Clothing Exchange Begins
- Exchange clothing that does not align with your gender identity and/or expression for clothing that does. Receiving clothing does not require you to donate clothing. Visit the CARE Resource Center Monday and Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Tuesday, November 16
Gender Identity Panel, 3 p.m.
Individuals whose gender identity is not cisgender, such as trans or nonbinary, discuss their identities, experiences, use of pronouns and other considerations as they relate to gender. They will take questions from the virtual audience. Join the event via WebEx at https://uncp.webex.com/meet/abigail.reiter.
Professional Development: To Be Well and Trans: Facilitating Wellness in Trans Communities, 4-5 p.m.
- The event will be held via WebEx at https://uncp.webex.com/meet/whitney.akers.
Wednesday, November 17
Safe Zone Training for Faculty and Staff, 3-5 p.m.
- Safe Zone Education empowers participants to be more knowledgeable about issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, intersex, asexual, pansexual, and other individuals (LGBTQIA+). The training also provides participants with a functional knowledge of terminology, the gender and sexuality paradigms, and ways to support the LGBTQIA+ community as an active ally and advocate. The event will be held in Old Main, Room 124. Please RSVP by emailing email@example.com.
Movie Night: Paris is Burning, 6 p.m.
- Join us for movie night and a discussion.
- This LGBTQIA+ documentary chronicles the ball culture of New York City and the African-American, Latino, gay, and transgender communities involved in it. A raffle will be held for a free gift at the end of the event. The event will be held via WebEx at https://uncp.webex.com/meet/sw0046.
Thursday, November 18
Guided Meditation, 2 p.m.
- Guided meditation supports wellness by deepening our capacity for self-reflection and concentration. This practice will offer powerful coping strategies rooted in self-compassion and born out of our ability to love and be loved. A raffle will be held for a free gift at the end of the event. This event is sponsored by Counseling and Psychological Services. The event will be held in Old Main, Room 124.
Trans 101 Education and Advisory Training, 4-5 p.m.
- Trans 101 training is an introductory workshop designed to provide participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to support transgender, gender non-conforming and gender-questioning individuals. This training is available to everyone and is sponsored by the Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity. The training will be held in Old Main 124 and via WebEx at https://uncp.webex.com/uncp/j.php?MTID=m6b77b894d72948c96d1dabff32077938.
Friday, November 19
Student Forum: Make UNCP More Trans-Affirming, 4 p.m.
- The forum will be held via WebEx at https://uncp.webex.com/meet/sw0046.
Saturday, November 20
Trans Day of Remembrance Vigil, 6 p.m.
- Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR) is an annual observance on November 20 that honors the memory of the transgender people whose lives were lost in acts of anti-transgender violence. Gwendolyn Ann Smith, TDOR founder, said “TDOR seeks to highlight the losses we face due to anti-transgender bigotry and violence. I am no stranger to the need to fight for our rights, and the right to simply exist is first and foremost. With so many seeking to erase transgender people—sometimes in the most brutal ways possible—it is vitally important that those we lose are remembered, and that we continue to fight for justice.” The event will be held via WebEx at https://uncp.webex.com/meet/whitney.akers.
The week’s activities are sponsored by the Office of Student Inclusion and Diversity, the Trans Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance Committee, Counseling and Psychological Services, Chi Sigma Iota, the Office of Campus Engagement and Leadership, the UNCP CARE Resource Center, and the UNCP Costume Shop
For more information about Trans Awareness Week and Day of Remembrance, please contact Dr. Whitney Akers at 910.775.4293 or firstname.lastname@example.org.